Hub or Router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake

Baseband Member
well, i'm planning on buing a second computer sometime during christmas. I'm not sure if i want to make the current computer into a server or just leave it the way as it is. Either way, i would like to see some second opinions on which to get?

i heard that hub/switches are simple and fast? but if your isp only allows 1 ip addy then a hub wouldn't work because each pc requires an ip addy? (correct me if i'm wrong)

i also heard that routers are way safer because it has a built in firewall but cause a lot of headaches. plus it can provide each pc with a diff ip?

i don't know much about networking so plz help me out! tell me what you know! enlighten me!

btw, i'm on cable 10mbits down and 1 mbits up. hope that helps.

THNX!

A router cannot provide each PC with a diff IP. It can assign an IP on your LAN though (eg 192.168.0.x) using DHCP. (correct me if i am wrong)

Get a router, they are faster+full duplex and u can turn off the firewall if u want.

A Router will basically assign a virtual IP (not really, but dont wanna go into depth), to each PC on it tied to its MAC. It contains this in its Routing table so it connects to the ISP through the given IP but each system can share it because the Router directs the packets itself.

=========Computer 1 IP
ISP IP ====== Cable Modem ==Router |
=========Computer 2 IP

Easiest way (and this is a VERY simple view) is that the Router is connected to the ISP through the cable modem, so that the ISP will only see the IP it assigned. The Router directs traffic between the 2 computers and sends the packets to the ISP with all the header info, when its received the ISP will send back replies that is directed to the Router. The Router checks the contents of the package and then knows which Virt IP to send it to.

EDIT NOTE: The diagram didn't come out the way I wanted it. The computer 1 IP and 2 IP should come after the Router, as if its attached to the right side... kind of like a pitch fork. So it would be ISP to Cable modem to Router, split off from Router to each computer.

Hub/Switch are different from Router.

Router helps in efficent packet delivery and as well assignment of LAN IP's

as WAN IP is 1 at one time, but LAN IP's can be many (same as told above 192.168.X.X or what ever you assign them). every router comes with a switch built in nowadays, as HUB and SWITCH have same functionality except that Hub distributes stream according to usage and switch distributes equal streams on every terminal. you can get either a wired or wireless router+switch, if you already have a modem with RJ-45 output, as normaly routers that require an external modem, requires modems to have rj-45 output.

or you cn as well get a router + switch + modem all built in.

What's the diff between a switch and router? Does a switch have similar settings as a router? Like NAT, WAN, Firewall etc settings?

that's what i want to know as well =] and btw, if i am going to purchase a router, which is the best brand? price isn't a problem. =]

modem and router? plz elaborate?

which is mroe efficient and faster? wireless or wired?

i'll only take the most efficient and fasted! =]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom