baracuda 1tb hard drive disappeared after power loss

I had a power blip and it killed a WD drive (many years ago). WD explained that the error from the diagnostics indicated that the platters "slipped"... I got a new drive but lost everything on the drive. Back then (circa 1999) hard drive recovery wasn't what it is like today
Edit: I got a universal power supply after that and started to back up my data

Last edited:
Yeah, but that was a very long time ago, HDD technology has changed a lot since. Then again, please remember, my personal experience in the field only started about 10 years ago... so I haven't seen a lot when it comes to older technology.

Any piece of technology can have harm caused by sudden loss of power without proper shutdown procedure or by using a switch. I've seen TVs, routers, drum modules (my own actually), lights, fans, power amps, radios, ect all die from power going on and off. That's why it's best that if your power goes out from a random loss you turn your surge protector off until the power is on and stable or buy a UPS. Since his drive was being used as a surveillance drive more than likely each time the plug was pulled the drive was writing data which can cause harm. Usually this only causes data corruption but it's not uncommon for a board to die from power issues. In 09 when I lived in my "box" I'm honestly surprised that I had 0 drives die from several power browns and outages but both my dads WD and Seagate drives died from the same issue. Boards died with no other sign of the HDD failing.

wow so much action suddenly :)

I tried different cable and power supply and nothing

maybe needle is stuck I haven't tried bumping it slightly.

both WD drives actually are almost full capacity.
one is about 5-7% free other is about 15-20% free. been like that for about 2 years they store all my music and random files camera pictures etc.. and been through a lot more sudden power losses than this damn Seagate drive. I don't remember having a bad WD drive personally.

Once again I want to say PSU quality is of importance when it comes to this. To the disk (though it was most likely writing data) loosing power is loosing power. A lot of disks ignore spin-down commands during shutdown when the controller is in AHCI, and a lot of generic consumer grade controllers don't even pass on such commands to a disk to spin down and park the heads. So seriously, if the power stops flowing, it stops flowing. The only way a sudden loss of power can damage a disk is if the PSU isn't supplying clean power during the loss, which has to mostly deal with the quality of the PSU.

That aside, if the disk isn't built to park the heads automatically during power loss before the platters slow down too much, then severe damage could have resulted, but I haven't seen a disk in 8 years that didn't bring the heads to park.

fsp blue storm 2 500watt psu is what I have now.
that's also about 2-3 years old I update my pc once a year depending on what the oldest part is

Once again I want to say PSU quality is of importance when it comes to this. To the disk (though it was most likely writing data) loosing power is loosing power. A lot of disks ignore spin-down commands during shutdown when the controller is in AHCI, and a lot of generic consumer grade controllers don't even pass on such commands to a disk to spin down and park the heads. So seriously, if the power stops flowing, it stops flowing. The only way a sudden loss of power can damage a disk is if the PSU isn't supplying clean power during the loss, which has to mostly deal with the quality of the PSU.

That aside, if the disk isn't built to park the heads automatically during power loss before the platters slow down too much, then severe damage could have resulted, but I haven't seen a disk in 8 years that didn't bring the heads to park.

So what do you suggest then, if he tried the new cables different psu...
I suggest he get the ball rolling on a rma claim real soon.
@raver: speak with seagate tier 2 tech support.
Let them know what you have tried by yourself and with 5 other people online here.
If I recall correctly someone else had a similair issue like yours awhile ago, his problem is the psu was not providing enough power.
I'll let the other guys suggest a psu for you but try and contact seagate and have them help/replace your drive.

If they asked you how did the drive die, tell them you came home and your machine was off.
Tell them their was no storm since you indicate that here with us.
They should be willing to give you another one if your not at fault for damaging the product.

So what do you suggest then, if he tried the new cables different psu...
I suggest he get the ball rolling on a rma claim real soon.
@raver: speak with seagate tier 2 tech support.
Let them know what you have tried by yourself and with 5 other people online here.
If I recall correctly someone else had a similair issue like yours awhile ago, his problem is the psu was not providing enough power.

Not exactly saying his PSU is frying equipment, but a good quality PSU should be able to cleanly cut off power if there is a sudden loss on the AC side. If he trys different cables and a different port on the motherboard, then theres nothing to do other than make sure the kid doesn't pull power like that. He can try an RMA, but he will have to lie about it, and that's considered fraud, and can actually land him in jail.

Which I am curious, has OP tried a different SATA cable on a different port on the board yet?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom