baracuda 1tb hard drive disappeared after power loss

If it's not being detected in the bios itself then odds have it the controller board is toast.

I don't think thats the correct answer...
Raver if you get a chance, borrow a hard drive from someone or use your old one.
See if it comes up on the same sata cable the seagate was on.
If it does this inconsistently with no problems, hook up the seagate in another machine.
Use the same sata cable it was on before, if it does come up in bios...
Try a newer cable, if it "STILL" does not show up in bios or windows..
Its safe to say you were correct the drive is dead and you may need to rma.

I don't know what seagates technicians are doing these past few years while making hard drives or refixing them.
They have had more problems then they want to admit to the general public. :/
Thats why I said don't go with seagate until their failure rate has dropped for one year.

Let me know what happens.

You agreed with me but simply added extra unnecessary steps. I mean he can do that if he wants, but his son kept turning his machine on and off and it was a hard shut down. The bios won't see the drive so there's more than a 75% chance the controller board was fried from a surge.

You agreed with me but simply added extra unnecessary steps. I mean he can do that if he wants, but his son kept turning his machine on and off and........

Stop right there let me ask you this chief ?
Lets say he has another drive he can use.
Lets assume he "can" use it and a os, wouldn't be enough that alarm both of us to assume controller board isn't messed up ?
I've ran into controller issues back in the past before and I know if it were this problem directly. :/
Honestly I think its 2 problems, one of them I'm leaning at the sata cable first.
If I didn't think it were that I would agree and let you handle it.
I'll check back later and see what he does.

Sudden power loss shouldn't have caused damage to the HDD if the PSU is of any quality, just saying... Maybe some corrupt data, but to the HDD, loosing power via shutdown or by a flip of the switch is loosing power, unless the PSU is flaky or not decent and somehow sent some bad power to the logic board. If that was the case, other things should be damaged as well on the same 5v or 12v rail that HDD was using.

First thing to try is a different SATA cable before anything else. If the SATA cable doesn't do the trick, try a different SATA port. No dice, then dead HDD. I have seen some funky happenings with some SATA cables.

Stop right there let me ask you this chief ?
Lets say he has another drive he can use.
Lets assume he "can" use it and a os, wouldn't be enough that alarm both of us to assume controller board isn't messed up ?
I've ran into controller issues back in the past before and I know if it were this problem directly. :/
Honestly I think its 2 problems, one of them I'm leaning at the sata cable first.
If I didn't think it were that I would agree and let you handle it.
I'll check back later and see what he does.
If it was a bad SATA cable it would have given him issues to begin with. If he bought a new WD drive I bet it would boot right up on the same cable as it's pretty hard to damage one if it's simply sitting in a case. Considering the fact that he has had issue before with his kid shutting down the PC constantly and I've had HDD boards die from the same thing it points directly at it. I mean sure if he had another drive I'm sure he'd use it but it appears this is the only one he has since he said he would buy a new one. Context clues.

Sudden power loss shouldn't have caused damage to the HDD if the PSU is of any quality, just saying... Maybe some corrupt data, but to the HDD, loosing power via shutdown or by a flip of the switch is loosing power, unless the PSU is flaky or not decent and somehow sent some bad power to the logic board. If that was the case, other things should be damaged as well on the same 5v or 12v rail that HDD was using.

First thing to try is a different SATA cable before anything else. If the SATA cable doesn't do the trick, try a different SATA port. No dice, then dead HDD. I have seen some funky happenings with some SATA cables.
Like I was saying to Mike, his kid just pulls the plug from the last thread I read. If the machine is writing data constantly from surveillance and keeps getting the plug pulled like that it can kill a drive.

The hard drives platters must be in sink with each other. If your spinning the drives motor on and off, this could possibly make one of the platters move within the drive (Slips in the drives armature) . This will and does cause a total failure
also....the most common reason the powering off the pc kills your drive:
This also can be caused by several different scenarios from improper computer shut downs to sudden power loss.
This when possible changes are made to the system area of the drive while the drive is in operation. eg slow reads of sectors might be moved or marked in a defect list while in use. although this happens. without your knowledge these changes have a great impact on the drives operation and if these changes fail to complete or the drive losses power half way through these changes you will have corruption in that particular system area module and the drive will no longer be recognized, seen as a different model, serial number is no longer visible or seen as hieroglyphics in the computer's BIOS

Hard drive repair & data recovery information - hard drive repair diagnostics

If your pcb board fried, it will have a "burnt" odor to it

Not necessarily. The board can simply die with no sensible notification of its death. Had that happen on 2 Maxtor drives, but Google revealed that it was normal with those. Simple board swap with my dad's and I had all my data. Replaced dead board, sent in for RMA, was sent back a new Seagate 500GB.

Replaced dead board, sent in for RMA, was sent back a new Seagate 500GB.

The last time I RMA'd a seagate drive (recently) The drive they gave me was worse than the drive I RMA'd. This happened three times before I finally got a refurb drive that had tolerable vibration noise

Although it very well could be the pcb board, it could also be the platters too

Last edited:
I have also had drives die for no reason, (notably Seagate) due to a bad logic board. Still have never seen a drive actually die from power loss, they are built to automatically park the heads upon power loss. In either case it is worth trying the drive on a different SATA port with a different SATA cable, and for the user to listen to it and feel it the disk actually spins up or performs the click of death.

Back
Top Bottom