baracuda 1tb hard drive disappeared after power loss

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
my kid keeps unplugging the desktop power cable when im not home and after about 10 times it finally went missing.

I have defrag and file check on it every 2 weeks so its always maintained and about 50-60% full

I had a webcam security recording on it all the time so that was probably on when it lost power.

I already covered it up as much as I could but hes my kid and hes good with electronics lol.

cant keep **** away from him.

its not in my computer its not in bios not in any windows menus like defrag or chkdsk. it powers up and spins up without any noises
possibly shows as "HARD DRIVE" in bios and start up diagnostic screen but no windows.
its less than 2 years old

so with that said what would be the most probable issue?

Does Disk Management detect it at all?

Have you tried booting off of a Linux LiveCD such as Ubuntu and seeing if it detects the drive if Disk Management doesn't?

im not sure it goes by quick.

in bios it doesn't show it at all. but in the startup diagnostic it might be saying as generic hard disk or something like that.... at least what I could see for that half a second

I checked everywhere I could think of in windows its not anywhere
happened right after the last time I lost power

also windows now says something about increasing page file size on startup every time. possibly related to that missing drive I think my pagefile might have been there also

Sounds like the kiddo might have killed your drive. Don't feel bad, mine killed a 500 dollar drum module by turning it on and off constantly.

Edit: You can try Seatools for Windows or DOS. If it isn't showing up in the actual bios page or Seatools doesn't find it odds are it's deadz.

Last edited:
just an observation this is a 3rd Seagate drive that took a dump on me throughout the years...

both of the WD drives that are older and went through more shutdowns and formats than the 1tb Seagate are still in good health. and keep my files.

so im going with a WD drive like the rest of them this time.

I downloaded seatools and its not showing it so im assuming all the files I had on it are lost or inaccessible... and I also have 2 Seagate home theater plus boxes that are paperweight after they locked the firmware. so no more Seagate for me

Everybody has different experiences. Either way it's still best to make sure that kind of stuff doesn't happen regardless of what's in your PC.

digged around bios and its not detected there either

anyone can recommend a tool to try and fix it? I have few hard disk tools but they re all windows based.

free one is preferred

If it's not being detected in the bios itself then odds have it the controller board is toast.

+1

If you really wanted to try (emphasis on try) and recover data, you could try and get a controller board from the same model running the same firmware and swap out the boards.

Back
Top Bottom