Overheating

flazer

Beta member
Sorry in advance if this is a terrible format/ section.

I bought a computer at around 8/13/2012, and fast forward a year, a signal on the lower right corner kept popping out that my CPU is over 65/ 70 degrees, what is wrong and what can I do to fix this? Since lately its getting to the point that it overheats and turns off after running multiple games at once.

Please ask for additional information if needed. Thanks in advance.

Is it dusty? How often do you clean the dust out of the case? You should try to make a habit of cleaning the dust out of your case at least once every two weeks to ensure proper airflow. When CPUs overheat; it is usually a sign of bad cooling. I would recommend taking the case off, cleaning the dust out, and trying it again. CoreTemp or HWMonitor are good software for measuring the CPU temperature.

I tried using compressed air and the dust in the small slits in (http://www.buyxg.com/images/fa/fa-water-101.jpg) does not break free. What tips would you give on cleaning that? I try to clean this frequently, but the efficiency of my attempts are probably terrible.

Use a damp (not wet) to wipe away the dust as much as you can - dust likes to stick to things, and even using compressed air it can be difficult to get rid of.

Also, agreed with repasting your CPU.

Also, since it's a watercooling setup, make sure the pump is actually running properly and water is moving through your loop.

Considering you would need a repaste at best as well, the easiest way to clean a rad to super clean status is soapy water, rinse off, and blow dry until the water is dried up. Just make sure the pump (part that attaches to CPU) doesn't get wet. Another easy way is a long bristle tip for a vacuum cleaner.

Where is a good source of buying thermal paste, and what do i need to do to apply it? (I am a rookie)

NCIX, Newegg, your local electronics stop maybe. All you need is the TIM and apply a grain of rice sized amount to the center of your CPU. Don't forget to properly clean both your CPU and waterblock base off first.

NCIX, Newegg, your local electronics stop maybe. All you need is the TIM and apply a grain of rice sized amount to the center of your CPU. Don't forget to properly clean both your CPU and waterblock base off first.

Expanding on this, you can clean it with Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), at least 90% mix. For wiping away the old compound, you can get coffee filters, since they're cheap, non-lint and you get a lot of them.

As for what kind of thermal paste... any really works. I prefer TX-2 personally, since it's fairly cheap for the amount you get and yet still a very good performer.

Back
Top Bottom