htpc build by a noob

In regards to the M.2 that you suggested I put in place instead of the seagate. Does this need an enclosure? How does it mount?

The M.2 SSD mounts onto the motherboard directly and saves precious space in smaller cases. It inserts similar to a wireless lan card on a laptop, you slide the card into the connector at an angle, and then push it down and secure it to the motherboard with a screw. Usually the slot is on the front of the motherboard, but this motherboard has it on the back side near the CPU socket.

MAKE SURE you read your motherboard manual as the M.2 port will essentially be using one of your SATA ports, so if you plug your HDD upto that SATA port, you could have some very strange issues.

6398_12_asus_z97i_plus_mini_itx_intel_z97_motherboard_review_full.jpg

Last edited:
So dauntae mentioned I could replace a few item with cheaper ones? Would these cheaper ones perform the same?

When I posted that I was using my phone to search the items, The case was the first I searched for and seen the price, There are a LOT of different brands and many are just as good and some times better and cheaper. But I couldn't search to see what items and prices. Seems you did well on picking what you wanted. As for the SSD, It seems someone just posted about it as I was typing LOL

So in regards to were it mounts. I can't see anywere on the asus website that the asus z971 has it??? Are they compatable? Sorry if that's a stupid question haha

The M.2 SSD mounts onto the motherboard directly and saves precious space in smaller cases. It inserts similar to a wireless lan card on a laptop, you slide the card into the connector at an angle, and then push it down and secure it to the motherboard with a screw. Usually the slot is on the front of the motherboard, but this motherboard has it on the back side near the CPU socket.

MAKE SURE you read your motherboard manual as the M.2 port will essentially be using one of your SATA ports, so if you plug your HDD upto that SATA port, you could have some very strange issues.

6398_12_asus_z97i_plus_mini_itx_intel_z97_motherboard_review_full.jpg
So in the manual it will have something along the lines of
M.2 occupies the 3rd SATA port and cannot be used ect ect...

So in the manual it will have something along the lines of
M.2 occupies the 3rd SATA port and cannot be used ect ect...

Correct, it will list which if any SATA ports are going to be used by the M.2 port. I know some ports it will use the one labeled as SATA Port 0, and some boards that list that it doesn't use any of them because there aren't enough SATA headers to use all the available ports that a controller offers. But usually M.2 slots will use Port 0.

As far as the build goes, are you looking at Blu-Ray playback potential, or DVD potential, or will all your media for sure be stored on HDD? I would honestly look into a Blu-Ray drive for the random days where you will want to watch an actual Blu-Ray disk.

Last edited:
On this particular board it is registered simply as M.2 in the bios.

As for your location, sorry for me linking Scan parts. I Googled Metford and it came up with UK hence why I linked the site.

For the case if you think you want to game yet want something more aesthetically pleasing than a giant box, you can always look into the Silverstone Raven RVZ01. It's still mITX and can accommodate up to 13" cards.

Yeah not sure about blu-ray. We purchased a new Samsung tv the other week and got the matching samsung blu-ray player with it. So not sure if it is needed at this point but will always be an option.

Now a friend of mine was saying that you can incorporate xbox 360 ect into computers? Or is this only in the larger towers???

Not real sure where your friend is going with that. You can buy PC like cases for Xbox 360 hardware or mod a large case to fit the 360 internals into the same case but that's it.

Maybe he was talking about XBMC (Xbox Media Center - which is now called Kodi instead of XBMC)? Which is a Linux OS geared towards HTPC's. You could do that, or install Windows and use Plex Home Theatre.

Back
Top Bottom