htpc build by a noob

ohara

Baseband Member
Hey guys first post here. I have been interested in building my first computer for a while now and thought I'd throw out my idea to get some feed back from those who are smarter than I. I am wondering if this set up will work well for the purpose.
I want a htpc for my lounge room.
Here is what I have

Case:
FT03 - MINI by silverstone

CPU:
Intel i3 4150 3.5Ghz

Motherboard:
Asus Z 91 - plus mini I TX

PSU:
Silverstone 450W SFX 80plus gold
800 fan 1 8gb a

Hdd/ssd:
Seagate 60gb ssd (bootdrive) 2.5"
Seagate 2tb 3.5" hdd (storage)

Like I said will be for movies and a little music. No gaming will be done on it so wasn't going to worry about a graphics card.

Please help if you can

Looks like a pretty solid build but there are a few things that could be replaced with less expensive parts, The case is nice but for a HTPC do you really need a $130 case. Cheapest I found on a quick search. Also you will be needing some ram for the system. I'm sure someone will give a few suggestions. On my phone ATM so searches are a little tougher to do. If not I'll try to help a little more when I get home. Where are you located so I can search in a store you can order from.

Dauntae

Last edited:
I live In nsw australia. Yeah the case is a little on the expensive side but I has to be asthetically pleasing as it will be on show in the main lounge room. And the dimensions of this one fit the bill. But if there is a nicer one I'm open for suggestions. Also it can take a 10" graphics card for if I decide I want to start dabbling in games.

Yeah that's pretty nice.
Quick question. In regards to hdmi and other ports is there a panel I buy to install into the case that I will plug into?

So dauntae mentioned I could replace a few item with cheaper ones? Would these cheaper ones perform the same?

Looks good to me, except I would get an M.2 SSD instead to make getting that board warranted.

Crucial 128GB M550 M.2 SATA III Internal SSD - CT128M550SSD4 - Scan.co.uk

Will need RAM.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-...(1600)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-11-11-11-30-15v

Edit: This would fit better as an HTPC case than the Fortress.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silv...30-milo-slim-htpc-mini-itx-black-w-o-psu-(sfx)
In regards to the M.2 that you suggested I put in place instead of the seagate. Does this need an enclosure? How does it mount?

Back
Top Bottom