In need of a new windows laptop

I did I still recommend this though:
Gigabyte P15F V2-CF1 15.6-inch Gaming Notebook (Intel Core i7 4710MQ 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Nvidia GeForce GTX 850M 2GB Graphics Card, DVD-RW, USB 3.0, HDMI, VGA, eS-ATA, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HD Webcam, Windows 8.1): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accesso

Plenty of gaming & desktop performance power.
View this page here:
System Requirements - The Game - Community - The Sims 3

With the laptop I recommended it'll do far more than what you need it to.
Same goes for carnages recommendation but this laptop will be enough.
You even saved 200 pounds, I didn't want you to spend over 1000 bucks on a overly powered laptop.

The Sims Forums

Have a great time with your new laptop.

Gigabyte P15F V2-CF1 15.6-inch Gaming Notebook (Intel Core i7 4710MQ 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Nvidia GeForce GTX 850M 2GB Graphics Card, DVD-RW, USB 3.0, HDMI, VGA, eS-ATA, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HD Webcam, Windows 8.1): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accesso

View this page here:

You even saved 200 pounds, I didn't want you to spend over 1000 bucks on a overly powered laptop.

The Sims Forums

I completely understand what you mean on spending too much, just the problem I feel I'd have with buying from a user on amazon over amazon themselves is I'd be more covered if it was by amazon which is why I enquirer about MSI as it's not an awful price, is sold by amazon and a family member owns an MSI GT70

I completely understand what you mean on spending too much, just the problem I feel I'd have with buying from a user on amazon over amazon themselves is I'd be more covered if it was by amazon which is why I enquirer about MSI as it's not an awful price, is sold by amazon and a family member owns an MSI GT70

Well pick up the phone ask amazon about their policy with users and semi new or used items.
Yes I understand you take the risk of buying from a local seller.
Keep this in mind if the seller is highly knowlegable about the items he/she sells.
Willing to accept a return or offer feasible services I recommend you buy it and go back to them if necessary.
Also I know you want the msi to have coverage on the laptop.
Check out their policy and stances on laptop warrentys/RMAS.

If I were in your shoes and I knew the laptop at amazon was going to work and the seller didn't have much of a problem.
I buy it before someone else does or you would be left to buy the other expensive laptop.

View this page here:

The Sims Forums

The GPU in the MSI GX60 is still better than the GTX 850 that's in the Gigabyte you linked (and cheaper - 730 for the MSI and 780 for the Gigabyte).

Again, I'd recommend the MSI. Better GPU and cheaper than the Gigabyte. CPU isn't quite as good in the MSI, but is still good. Since most games aren't really CPU dependent, the GPU will make more of a difference. Plus the cooler-booster functionality helps keep the laptop cooler while gaming, which is extremely important and a lot of times overlooked in gaming laptops.

Last edited:
AMD APUs are known to hold back gaming, just ask MalcomX about that. APUs are why Mantle exists. I absolutely would not recommend the MSI with the APU. That is also speaking about the 4GHz clocked 2 module Steamroller APUs as well which are almost a full 2GHz faster stock.

AMD APUs are known to hold back gaming, just ask MalcomX about that. APUs are why Mantle exists. I absolutely would not recommend the MSI with the APU. That is also speaking about the 4GHz clocked 2 module Steamroller APUs as well which are almost a full 2GHz faster stock.

It'd still hinder it even with the dedicated card in it? Or do you mean the tasks that hit the CPU will hinder it?

Despite gaming being very GPU dominant it still needs a CPU with good enough IPC to feed it information, even if it's a small amount. APUs are inherently slow compared to their bigger FX brothers. Even the newer 4GHz clocked Steamroller variants. Mantle basically exists for AMD to push their APUs and the testing on Mantle titles shows just this. APU x86 cores are pretty damn slow, and being a mobile chip makes it that much slower.

It'd still hinder it even with the dedicated card in it? Or do you mean the tasks that hit the CPU will hinder it?

He means both and yeah I fully agree with pp on that part.
The AMD apus in general are abit weak, even a core2duo with a decent onboard gpu would put amd to shame.
I've seen how amd apus work, delt with them and for surely I recommend people stay away from them.
Unless its totally geared media playing, gaming and light or medium working on graphics and what not.

Yes carnage I read your post but that gigabyte still stands on my recommendation.
I checked the gpu specs for it I checked the msi one, believe me on this..
The GTX850M would be a better deal in th long run.
If she doesn't need very much detail in her gaming like I do..
It'll be flawless and she'll be happy if she does buy it.
Gigabyte is my favorite company, hell I even prefer it over msi when choosing intel or amd if the price and quality is right.

Lets her decide on what she wants after this post.

Despite gaming being very GPU dominant it still needs a CPU with good enough IPC to feed it information, even if it's a small amount. APUs are inherently slow compared to their bigger FX brothers. Even the newer 4GHz clocked Steamroller variants. Mantle basically exists for AMD to push their APUs and the testing on Mantle titles shows just this. APU x86 cores are pretty damn slow, and being a mobile chip makes it that much slower.

Welp, I stand corrected then. Figured the APU would be decent enough for the CPU instructions. Thanks for the insight; guess I learned something new today lol.

I'm sure for the Sims it would be alright, but if that's the case... the Gigabyte Rockman and I posted would probably be the better deal.

Heh, just noticed that I did post the Gigabyte one, at the very beginning of this thread even. It's one that will take 1 - 2 months to get back in stock though...

I still stand by the better Generic I posted as I'm sure Sims 4 will actually take advantage of an SSD.

Yea dude, desktop APUs are ok for light gaming like they are intended for, but Mantle enhanced titles really show where they lack. In BF4 the higher end APUs were getting a 70% increase in performance while using early activated Mantle and Mantle drivers. In case you didn't know what Mantle does, it takes care of most CPU overhead. For a 70% increase on the desktop variant to be had, one can only assume that a much lower clocked mobile variant is going to be extremely sluggish. I'd even take a Phenom 2 550 over any APU today.

Now, the R9 m290x is about on par with 7870 desktop performance and I believe is Mantle capable (as is Sims 4), if this person played any other game it would be pretty bottlenecked by the CPU unless Mantle accelerated. I also can't recommend because we don't know if Sims 4 will launch with Mantle or how much CPU overhead it'll actually take away. The m290x is quite a bit better than the 765m so I guess really it's up to the OP which one to go for.

Back
Top Bottom