SDD only for OS.. worth it?

Add a SSD to PC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iParanormalx

The strange one
I was considering adding a small SDD drive for a dedicated OS partition on a few of my PCs. Looks like a 32gb SSD is only ~50$ - Do you folks think the 50$ would give a noticeable difference in power efficiency and boot speed? Do you think the 32gb will suffice for the OS?

Last edited:
Yes, but I'd recommend getting something much larger than 32Gig... With Windows itself as well as all the updates, it will fill that up in no time. Invest in at least a 120gig minimum IMO.

Yes, but I'd recommend getting something much larger than 32Gig... With Windows itself as well as all the updates, it will fill that up in no time. Invest in at least a 120gig minimum IMO.

You "go big or go home" huh lol.

I disagree, though. Windows 7 requirements are only 20gb - thats what microsoft recommends as a minimum. So having 50% more than the minimum recommended should suffice.

I agree I want a bigger one for my main desktop because I have a "go big or go home" attitude with that PC.

But speaking from a genuine bare minimum requirement; do you really think every PC that I'm wanting to have an SSD needs 120gb just for the OS?

is not much of a matter of bigger well yeah its better but how much ill cost you. why pay $50 for a 32 wen u can get a much bigger one for a little more.
this one was up for 55 last week ill probably be again sometime soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-2-5-Inch-SV300S37A-120G/dp/B00A1ZTZOG/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1409245382&sr=1-1&keywords=ssd

Dayum! Thats a hell of a deal! :gamechanger:

I've also should have asked; i've not worked with internal/exteral SSD's at all... It sometimes appears some of them are literrally just a chip with a SATA connection. Is there a certain adapter or mount that they need for internal use?

Last edited:
yup buying samller than 120gb ssd is not worth it either used or new. i just picked up a 220gb used off a trading site.

32G is probably enough (as you point out Win 7 takes about 20G) but personally I wouldn't want less than a 64G ssd since that would room to install at least some programs or games that I wanted to be able to take advantage of the ssd's speed . As long as you only need to put the OS on there and plan to install all software and save all data to a separate drive you will be OK. Keep in mind that even when you install a program to a different drive some files are still written to the C: drive so those files will take up some space on the ssd.

The smallest ssd I have in any of my computers is 120G.

yeah that it was a 240 that i got used for $80 and is a crucial m500 the biger bother to that 120 u posted. is pretty nice so far faster than the 120gb intel 320 series i had

Windows 7 HP with SP1 is actually about 30GB. When you add all the updates it goes over 30GB. The 20GB recommendation was made back before 2009 when it was being developed and they have rolled out a ton of updates since. I also do believe that 20GB was for Basic/Starter editions but I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom