Fraps hardware question

Dauntae

Fully Optimized
Not sure where I should put this one, Half software and half hardware question so mods feel free to put it in a better location.

Well anyhow I want to start doing some game recording with fraps but when recording and the settings on high in game it gets real laggy, What I wondered is could I add in another VGA (not in SLI but in the extra PCIE slot) to run the fraps, I remember when folding here was going strong people were putting in a extra GPU different than there main card to fold with, Could that be done with Fraps??? I have an extra 470 sitting on the shelf that would be great to have a use for so my 770 could keep the game smooth on highest settings. DayZ is the game I've been playing with this on so far.

Thanks
Dauntae

Last edited:
That won't work. FRAPS is an old platform that probably won't get rewritten and updated to current standards. Use either Shadowplay or Dxtory. Shadowplay has 0% reduction in performance for me.

Holy crap, I forgot all about shadow play lolOK I hope I got my dumb@ss moment for the day done and over with. I'll give it a try in the next few days, DayZ does the weekly update in the wee hours Wednesday mornings soon after I get home from work so no servers to join.

Yea FRAPS is good for lossless and a platform you already know, but Dxtory does it too and from what I've been told records your set frames without capping the overall picture, all while not being a hog on your system.

Well if I get home before the servers shut down I'll try shadow play with maxed settings, Then off to find a way to shrink it enough for YouTube without killing the quality too bad

Well if I get home before the servers shut down I'll try shadow play with maxed settings, Then off to find a way to shrink it enough for YouTube without killing the quality too bad

If you want to, email me later on and I'll forward you a program I use.
Also the current version of fraps is perfectly stable.
When I record I keep all windows closed and keep the antivirus disabled.
Also fraps depends on good stable codecs so that can be a key factor if things are slow or just full of garbage.

Use 60 fps to record, use a decent screen size to record on.
I use 1280x960 and I keep my in game graphics on medium.
Since you have a better gfx card then I do, adjust your screen resolution to something smaller when you record.
Smaller recording window, flawless quality, hell if you want a 1080p screen size..
Hand brake like pp recommended will do or aisseesoft blu ray ripper 3.3.0.6 will do.

That version of aissesoft will do anything you need it to its much more quicker than hand brake.
The newer versions are hit and miss, but pm or email directly and I'll give you something to use with fraps. :)

Heres an example of fraps recording and aissesoft conversion. :devil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9vga7rzXvQ

Last edited:
Actually FRAPS has a lot of issues with newer DX11 games because it was written for DX9 and only patched for modern support. Thing is, the current version is several years old and that's why it lags behind in newer programs like Dxtory or hardware transcoders like Shadowplay. IMO FRAPS can't compare to the 0 reduction in performance that Shadowplay gives. The file sizes aren't bad for max quality either.

Did a little testing with shadow play, 20 minutes takes slightly over 5 gigs with the record settings on high, It said 20 minutes should take 7.5 gigs but not so much. 19 min 43 sec took 5.07 gigs and the quality was superb, Still need to tweek the game settings a little to my liking but no lagging at all when recording. Only thing is the video look quit a bit darker than when I was playing. Right now the group I've been playing with all seems to have found ways to die on there own LOL I was showing someone that you can actually blow up gas stations and then I suddenly see the words... You are dead.... DOH stood a little closer than I thought LOL So we are all heading to one location and re arming for another game hopefully this weekend with a big crew. If it happens I'll be recording it along with one of the other guys so if one of us dies we will have the others vid to use.

Back
Top Bottom