Random Monitor Sleep / Reboot

Mimoss03

Beta member
Hello,

Ever since yesterday my computer monitors have been losing signal (going to sleep) and sometimes the computer reboots.

This happens about once every hour or so. So if the monitors go to sleep 10x...6 of those times the computer will reboot as well. The other times (when the monitors ONLY go to sleep), it can not be woken up or anything.

This happens no matter what is going on. I am actively using it (keyboard strokes, mouse movement, etc) then *poof* monitors go out. I am forced to reboot it by the power button to do anything more.

Nothing has been changed on here (hardware or software), and prior to yesterday everything been just fine.

I am sure this can be a number of issues, and im just hoping someone might be able to point me on where to look / where to start looking.

The specs to the machine are below:

Windows 7 Ultimate
2 HDD (1TB each)
Intel Core i7 950
GTS 450 GPU
Corsair 850W Power Supply
12 GB Corsair Dominator Memory
P6X58D Premium M/B
Corsair H70 CPU Cooler
2 Monitors (1 HDMI / 1 DVI)

Let me know what additional info would be needed or steps to take..

Thanks,

Mike

Just incase you haven't already backup all your important stuff on a thumb drive or anything just as a precaution, because then you are able to mess around as much as you like without fear (more or less). I do have one question are the two HDDs you have in any sort of RAID configuration? As for your problem it doesn't seem like a monitor issue as your computer keeps shutting down to. To start make sure you have the latest Chipset, USB, and Audio drivers etc for the motherboard as well as all up to date drivers for your GPU and any other devices on your system. After, try booting your system in Safe Mode to see if a buggy driver might be the issue, if the computer still has the same problem in Safe Mode then it is probably a hardware issue and will take time to get to figure out as I can't see why the parts in your system would do this unless one of them is faulty. But, try the drivers and Safe Mode first and see where that gets you.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

No, no RAID config for the drives. Just 2 SATA drives each on their own power feed.

I will check my drivers and the safe mode and get back to you...
Also, Just to be sure yesterday i checked the temp...

Overall Internal Temp runs around 26-32C
CPU Temp: 34-43C
GPU Temp: 36-40C

I believe that is all ok for normal use/idle (this was not while things where under heavy load)

Thanks,

Mike

Those temps are definitely fine. When booting in safe mode your display may looked very weird because safe mode doesn't load graphic drivers and safe mode also doesn't run any absolutely non essential startup programs just the core basic drivers. Just mess around in your computer in safe mode for a while and see if the problem continues.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

No, no RAID config for the drives. Just 2 SATA drives each on their own power feed.

I will check my drivers and the safe mode and get back to you...
Also, Just to be sure yesterday i checked the temp...

Overall Internal Temp runs around 26-32C
CPU Temp: 34-43C
GPU Temp: 36-40C

I believe that is all ok for normal use/idle (this was not while things where under heavy load)

Thanks,

Mike

Idle temps are fine, but you'd want to show temps under load as well.

Agreed with Hunky though; try Safe Mode out and see if you still have issues.

If Safe Mode works, then try Safe Mode with Networking and see if the issue crops up there or not.

Back
Top Bottom