USB not recognized followed by device could not be installed issue

LindskogLindskog

Beta member
Hi!

I have recently began having problems with the USB hubs on my computer and have tried several different methods that should have fixed the issue. Unfortunately, none of them have worked.

Problem: Whenever I plug my Kingston DTSE9 16GB USB drive into the front USB 2.0 panel of my computer chassi (NZXT Phantom High Tower) I get the message "USB could not be recognized" followed by "device driver could not be installed." When I try connecting my phone (HTC One) in the same USB I do not get the error message, however my phone is not recognized by the computer as connected. The phone does however start to charge which means it is getting power from the computer. Furthermore, when I open the device manager and check under the serial bus drivers I see that 2 "unknown device" are listed, most likely one for each front USB. It seems the two front panel USB are not functioning as they should.
The USB hubs have worked previously and I have not made any big changes to the computer as far as I know. I really want the two front USB panels to work as they are a lot more accessible than the back ones.

What I've tried so far: I have opened the device manager and uninstalled the unknown devices followed by restarting the computer. I have also unplugged all USB devices from the computer followed by removing the power cord from the computer and restarting. I have used the "check for hardware" as well as "update driver," for the unknown devices however it tells me they are up to date. Furthermore, I've tried running the system scan in the command prompt to see if there were any issues in system32, there were none.

I would really appreciate any help you could provide to help me with this problem! =)

Computer specifications:
*Chassi: NZXT Phantom High Tower
*Motherboard: P8Z68-V PRO (Bios version 0501)
*Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
*Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570
*Power Supply: Corsair (PSU) 750W HX

Do the devices work properly when plugged into rear USB ports (i.e. directly into the board)?

Yes they do work in the rear USB ports. All of the rear ports are working as far as I know.

Well you could try reinstalling your chipset drivers...though I'm pretty sure it's not a driver issue if the rear ports work correctly.

Check to see if you have a different set of USB headers on your motherboard that you can plug the case's USB ports into to see if it's a set of bad headers on the board.

Otherwise, I'd say the USB ports on the front of the case are going bad.

How exactly would I go about reinstalling the drivers? I usually take caution in messing around with the computers standard drivers just in case I make things worse hehe. I have uninstalled the USB drivers in the device manager if that is what you mean? That didn't help.

I'll try and open up the computer soon and see if the USB cables into the motherboard or the headers are going bad. Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know how it goes.

How exactly would I go about reinstalling the drivers? I usually take caution in messing around with the computers standard drivers just in case I make things worse hehe. I have uninstalled the USB drivers in the device manager if that is what you mean? That didn't help.

I'll try and open up the computer soon and see if the USB cables into the motherboard or the headers are going bad. Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know how it goes.

Use Intel's chipset updater utility:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=20775&lang=eng&ProdId=816

I would try going into the BIOS and resetting all options to default. After that I would download the latest chipset, network, and USB drivers for your motherboard from the manufacturer website. If that doesn't work backup your files and reinstall the OS. If that still doesn't work perhaps the cable connecting the USB 2.0 port to the USB 2.0 header on the motherboard is damaged.

I would try going into the BIOS and resetting all options to default. After that I would download the latest chipset, network, and USB drivers for your motherboard from the manufacturer website. If that doesn't work backup your files and reinstall the OS. If that still doesn't work perhaps the cable connecting the USB 2.0 port to the USB 2.0 header on the motherboard is damaged.

Pretty much what I've already suggested :p. Waiting to hear back from OP for results.

Back
Top Bottom