Pagefile opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeisalsocool

Daemon Poster
I have looked everywhere for the optimal pagefile settings. I would like to know where everyones pagefile is, and how big it is.
Right now I have 2 partitions, a 10Gb with windows, a few programs, and the pagefile. A 27Gb with large games, music, movies, ect.
Would moving it to the 27, or splitting it up between the two help?
I've heard that having it at the outer edge of the platter is the best.
Misc: Its 768-800Mb at the moment. I usually play FarCry, and Doom 3. Prime95 runs occasionally with memory usage set to max.
Help would be cool. Thanks
-Joe

I think the first partition gives you lower seek times. My pagefile is on my first HD, first partition where my OS is installed, because my first drive is faster than my second drive. My pagefile is fixed at 350MB, my RAM is 256MB

this is transparent on all of the computers that i have running:

desktops:
location of the pagefile is on the first available non-system disk. I usually have an 80gb system disk thats partitioned in two drives, so the first for me would be E:. I keep the pagefile set at minimum= 1.5xAmount of RAM and the maximum=3xAmount of Ram

laptops:
the system drive is partitioned into two. so, i keep the location of the pagefile on the D: partition. and the amount is the same as above.
Example= I have 1GB of ram then my pagefile will be set at min=1.5GB and my max will be set at 3GB.

generally, put the page file on a non-system disk like mike stated above, and a seperate drive. You dont want it located on a seperate partition on the SAME drive thats not the system partition due to seek time slowing (wandering head). So if you have a second physical disk, put it there. Also, I've heard and tried and found a small increase at setting the minimum and maximum at the same amount. For example, say you have 512 or something of memory, you could set the min at 1GB and max at 1GB so the size will remain static.

optimal pagefile settings=>

Manually set the size of ur RAM to for example 512 x 2.5 = 1280
If u hav a gb RAM, then set it to 1024 x 2.5 = 2560

Conclusion, RAM x 2.5 = page file size

kfcheung said:
optimal pagefile settings=>

Manually set the size of ur RAM to for example 512 x 2.5 = 1280
If u hav a gb RAM, then set it to 1024 x 2.5 = 2560

Conclusion, RAM x 2.5 = page file size

I have read (different computer magazines and books) that setting the min and max pagefile to this value on a second hard drive is the optimal setting

I never noticed any difference, but there must be one to have so many sources say it

major, do you get that head thing? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom