PC 2700 -v- PC3200 DDR Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooksmcgee

Beta member
What is the difference between the different types of DDR memory? I always thought that numbering scheme just meant one was better than the other. Ie, PC 3200 is better than PC 2700. I'm about to build a system with an Epox EP-8KDA3I and an AMD 64 2800+ processor. I'd like to get 1 stick of 512 MB DDR, maybe Crucial or Kingston ( although anything I can order off of NewEgg) and I'm not real sure what type I need.

Thanks for any help!

PC3200 is faster than PC2700

If you're gonna jump for a 64bit chip, you'd be wise to buy the fastest, best RAM you can get your hands on. Otherwise you're cheating yourself.

The type you need is dictated by what your mobo can handle and what your processor can handle.

The 2800 AMD64's can't handle dual-channel (last time I checked) but other than that you're fine with the best chips you can get for your mobo's ability. If you're springing for a new system, get a gig of RAM instead of just 512. You'll be happier for it.

The numbers are a speed rating....PC3200 means how much bandwidth the module can push. DDR400 means that it runs at double data rate, so 2x 200mhz = 400mhz RAM;)

Go with the PC3200:)

I agree with shoobierat
Try to get RAM that is made by one of the major makes and don't get the cheap stuff either. If it looks good (by which i mean heat spreader) it doesn't mean it is good, check out reviews before you buy.
I have an AMD64 3000 and i am using some DDR 400 OCZ and having no probs wat so ever.
I have made the mistake of buying cheap unbranded crap and it was poo.

Right now I am looking at 1 stick of Kingston 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 ( http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=20-141-424&depa=0 ) for $70. The system I am building is here:

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=1142710

I've heard good things about Kingston in the past. If anyone can recommend a brand of memory other than Kingston or a different type before I buy this tomorrow that would be great. Unfortunately, I am building this as a budget computer and can't afford to go to 1Gb of RAM, as I'm trying to keep the price under $500 for the system (minus monitor).

Plus, I can't think of anything this prson would use the computer for that would need 1Gb right now so I'll just wait a couple of years for prices to drop.

although PC3200 faster than PC2700 but u cant see the difference with your eye~~~

What if you mix a stick of pc2700 and pc3200 is it possible? What bandwidth will the ram be running? Will it be an average of the 2 or the slower speed or what? I have 1 stick of 512 pc2700 in my comp right now and I'm thinking about getting another stick of ram... what do you guys suggest? My comp is no super comp, but I do and can play a few games on it.

What if you mix a stick of pc2700 and pc3200 is it possible? What bandwidth will the ram be running? Will it be an average of the 2 or the slower speed or what?
It can only run as fast as the slowest stick in there....the PC2700 can't be ran any higher because that would mean it would be overclocked which requires you to adjust it if you want to overclock. Otherwise if you stick a PC3200 and PC2700 stick in the same system the PC3200 will default to PC2700 speeds.

I've heard good things about Kingston in the past. If anyone can recommend a brand of memory other than Kingston or a different type before I buy this tomorrow that would be great. Unfortunately, I am building this as a budget computer and can't afford to go to 1Gb of RAM, as I'm trying to keep the price under $500 for the system (minus monitor).
OCZ, Corsair, Kingston...I rate that from best to least best starting with OCZ as top. I have a stick of Kingston valueRAM and it does the job. It is indeed a good stick.

You will be fine with ValueRAM but no doubt people will try and say GO WITH HIGH PERFORMANCE!!! but the truth is...not everyone can afford it...hell I can't...but beyond that, you really only need high performance RAM if you plan on overclocking it. Otherwise it's not worth the extra money.

I would really suggest trying to squeeze out $150 for a1gb kit of some good valueRAM because 512mb is on the verge of almost not being enough and with that 64 system you plan on building I say if you got 1gb of RAM you'd be set for quite some time and wouldn't have to worry about your RAM until applications start getting so intense that 1gb isn't enough which is atLEAST still a year away if not more.

But of course if ya aint got the money then there's nothing you can do about it =/ You can always get another 512mb down the road if need be.

One more question. What's the difference between lets say, a 184 pin ram stick and a.... umm 240 pin [or others]? How do I know which one is for my mainboard.... or how do I check that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom