CPU Over heating

PizzaHut

Baseband Member
Hello forums,

A couple weeks ago I suddenly encountered sudden shut downs of my computer and then it would automatically restart. Thinking this was my hard drive due to my lack of experience with the hardware side of computers I ignored it for a while and it continued in no real pattern just randomly.

About a week and a half ago when I was inspecting the computer again since it continued to happened I noticed that when gently putting my fingers against the CPU fan it was extremely hot so I ordered thermal paste thinking that may be a reason why.

I purchased artic silver thermal compounded and correctly replaced the thermal paste and then turned on the machine to see the results, they were disappointing as the temperature continued to start at 50 degrees and get up to 100 within 10 minutes of idling.

I blew out the computer to remove dust even though there wasn't much at all in there and then restarted to find the same results. I tested the temperatures with Speedfan and compared to other programs and found the same results.

I then went into the bios and checked the fan speeds and noticed something very unusual, the cpu fan reading was 0RPM and it didn't matter which fan socket thingy I put it into it always showed 0RPM.

tl;dr

CPU over heating, Bios shows fan readings are 0RPM even though I can feel the cpu fan near the grill working. Temperatures are exceeding 95C and causing computer to crash while idling.

Specifics:

CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 - 2600k CPU @ 3.4 GHz
CPU Temperature Rangings: 70c - 100c
System Temperature - 23c
Motherboard: MSI Australia Z68A-G45 (B3)

Extra: The socket pins are not bent and nor at the cpu's pins

Any other I can provide on request.

Thanks guys and hopefully we can sort this out together :)

Are you sure that you have the heatsink/fan securely seated? How much thermal paste did you use?

Thanks for the replies guys,

I have tried two different ways to put the thermal paste on the CPU.

1: Grain of rice
2: A line going across the back of the cpu vertically.

I am using Artic Silver Thermal Compound

ALSO

I have tightened the screws on the 4 corners of the heat sink so by what I can see it is making contact

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies,

I have checked to make sure the screws are as tight as they can be and that I used the grain of rice method to applying thermal compound.

I started it up again and took a screen shot of speedfan:

qzopbq.png

Posts were moderated. Approved.

Speedfan usually isn't very accurate with temps... have you checked HWMonitor and/or CoreTemp?

Preferably standalone Coretemp. If you are using the stock cooler just because they are tightened doesn't mean there is proper contact. If you push lightly in the center on top of the fan and it goes down in any corner then the heatsink is not making proper contact causing your high temps.

I would say if you wish to retain that 2600 for a while I would suggest simply bypassing all the BS and just get yourself a new cooler. A SB i7 that isn't overclocked doesn't take much to cool.

Back
Top Bottom