First Time Upgrading PC Help?

MarxAthium

Beta member
Hello there c:
I'm about to start upgrading an old PC I have, as its the only PC I have at my disposal. I know it wont be a top notch gaming rig or any of that stuff, which i dont mind really, but I would really appreciate any help on helping me do it.
My specs can be viewed here

Compaq Presario SR5310F Desktop PC Product Specifications Compaq Presario SR5310F Desktop PC | HP® Support

So I've never upgraded a PC before, as I'm 16, and i really like computers and wanna learn to do this stuff myself. I'd go buy a new PC or something, but I have a tight budget and as you can see, its not exactly a gaming PC i own. Its pretty low end, but its got potential for upgrading as far as I see it.
I'm looking to upgrade the RAM to at least 2 GB, and upgrade to a Graphics Card of the name

GeForce GT 610 2GB DDR3PCI Express

So a 2GB card and I know pretty much the Max RAM a game could really run at this point is 4 Gigs, so i'd believe that should be fine, as im not exactly aiming for BF4 Ultra or anything cx

Plus i know the RAM either way will make my computer work better/faster, so either way its a plus.

So far I've found the card, and I possibly may have found some RAM.

" 2GB 2X1GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667Mhz PC5300 240Pin Desktop Memory Ram non-ecc "

I'm prepared to try and upgrade the PSU to a 400 Watt one if its required in order to run the card, but I wanted some help in doing it, as in stuff like
  • Can my computer Run the card i want?
  • Do I need a new PSU?
  • Is this the right kind of RAM for my PC?
  • Does anyone have an estimate on whether it would all work out?
  • If so, could it run games on *LOWEST SETTINGS* (Because i'm not really a fan of high graphics settings and stuff, as i see it as graphics don't make/break a game/PC and lowest settings = higher FPS in my mind so) Games like Skyrim, Source Engine Games, Fallout 3 and Oblivion, Minecraft, Terraria
And any tips on how i would go about it and anything else required i might need to make this work. Thanks to anyone who helps me out. c:

Well, what is your budget? Having 2GB of VRAM on the GPU is pointless on that card, as it's power basically starts capping between 512MB and 1GB of texture information. I would shoot for something a little better.

If your budget is super tight I would look at getting some used hardware. I can't really make much for recommendations without a price though. You will need a new PSU depending on what card you wind up getting.

To be honest, the PC isn't really worth upgrading as the CPU is weak, upgrade options are limited because of the motherboard, and the maximum amount of RAM (2GB) allowed is lower than the minimum I would say you should PC game at for any game from 2006 on.

Well at the moment I was really hoping I could at least upgrade my PC with at least those things, cause yeah its pretty right. I have around 70$- 100 at the moment, but not much opportunity for much more. I can find most parts fairly cheap around or online, just unsure what I should get fur what I got

Last edited:
Well, you can get a 1GB stick of DDR2 for dirt off Ebay. Try to stick to free shipping to save cash. Stick with the speed you currently have because 667 gets dropped to 533 by the board.

For a GPU, you're highly limited. I would look for used 400 and 500 series GPUs. I know I saw a local 460 being sold for 40 bucks. You just have to look and used is your best bet to get the most out of your budget. For a PSU, a CX430 should be able to get you by.

Back
Top Bottom