Choppy sound and FPS drops on high end laptop

momow

Beta member
Alright so I just got myself a brand new high end Toshiba laptop four days ago and it has two major problems that probably have something to do with each other. First of all, the sound seems to be low quality and choppy. I've got some speakers and I plugged them into my laptop, played a song on youtube then played the same song with my cellphone and the sound quality is clearly better on the cellphone than on the laptop. Also, I downloaded four games; Tera Rising, Starcraft 2, Dota 2 and League of Legends. Two of them (Dota and Starcraft) suffer from a very obvious sound fluctuation problem. All of the musics/sound effects sound like if you plugged some headphones halfway through and occasionally pushed the plug in. The volume and quality keeps going up and down, and it does that on the laptop's speakers just as much as on my headphones and my home speakers. Also, in the four games, I get random fps drops that don't seem to have anything to do with what is going on in the game. By that I mean than logically, a fps drop would be happening when there is a lot of action going down but here they are totally random and they occur no matter the graphics settings I use. These are my specs:
-4th Generation Intel Core i7-4510U processor (2.0 / 3.1 GHz, 4MB Intel Smart Cache) with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology and Intel Hyper-Threading Technology
-4GB DDR3L Plus 4GB DDR3L (1600 MHz)
-AMD Radeon R7 M260 2GB - Dedicated Graphics up to 5878MB (64bit OS) dynamically allocated shared graphics memory with 8GB of system memory

The computer I owned before that one was worth like 700$ in 2008. It had something like 4gigs of ram and a nvidia geforce 9800Gt and was awfully outdated, but I could still play League of Legends on high setting without any fps drop. I can't with my brand new computer that is worth 1050$ in 2014. There really is something abnormal here and I would really like your help guys. Thanks in advance.

For the audio issue... find out what company makes your sound chip (most likely Realtek). Go directly to the manufacturer's (not Toshiba's) website and update the drivers.

Same with your GPU drivers. Also, what are your CPU/GPU temps while gaming? You can monitor them with something like HWMonitor.

I've already updated my GPU drivers if by GPU you mean graphic's card (I'm really not good with names and abreviations when it comes to technology), as for the sound chip, how can I find out what is is? All i've got to find out are that my laptop microphone and speakers are Conexant SmartAudio HD

Open up Device Manager
Find your audio device -> Right click -> Properties -> Details tab
Post the following info:
Under "Hardware Ids" in the dropdown, it should have something like VEN_####&DEV#### ; post that section, where #### = some alphanumeric combination.

Getting up there...but fairly normal for a gaming laptop under load.

You could try repasting the CPU/GPU heatsinks (depending on what laptop this is, the difficulty varies). Post the model # of your laptop.

Back
Top Bottom