Laptop shuts off at random instances during startup

questioner1

Beta member
Hello,

I've bought a laptop about 3 years ago, and 1 year ago it started having problems until it completely failed. It started to shut off randomly and eventually didn't even boot anymore. I recently gave it another attempt and tried to replace the hard drive with a new SSD. I also installed 4GB new ram (8GB now). To my surprise, it suddenly worked again.

However, now I'm having new problems:
The computer now sometimes suddenly restarts, giving me the Following Event:

Event 41 Kernel-Power
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>

What most often happens is that when I start up the computer it SOMETIMES automatically restarts right after booting windows. It's always at the point where the windows logo has appeared and where windows has seemingly loaded, right before the user name and password box normally appears. Then the next boot often works but usually (but not always) takes much longer than normal (my new SSD usually takes 3 seconds between showing the windows logo and showing the user name and password box, but when it automatically restarts after such a boot failure it takes about 30 seconds).

I never get any error messages, and I''ve never seen the BSOD appear. Is there a way to delve deeper into the cause of this by finding more detailed info than given by event 41 at the event viewer? I already tried unchecking the option "don't restart" after system failure, but this doesn't give me the BSOD when the system fails.

I've downloaded Speccy and seen that the CPU usually is between 55 and 65 degrees celcius with normal use. I ran Intel processor diagnostic tool which shows no problems.

However the weird thing is this:
I've had the laptop with SSD installed now for 4 days, and every single day, it did this the first time I booted the laptop in the morning when it seems to me to be at its coolest which is the opposite of what I'd expect. But I've restarted and shut down and booted the laptop numerous times during these days without a problem.
I've also played crysis 2 on it just to test. it then moves to 93-98 degrees celcius, and it shut off once while doing this. It has also done so at least once while it was on, but this definately happens less frequently than during booting.

I have two questions:
1. The obvious: I've looked online at what this problem could be and how to solve it, and although the possibility of overheating being the cause is suggested by the crysis-shutdown, it is not supported by the fact that it also hapens first boot in the morning. So what could the cause be, and how do I solve it? I've considered the possibility of power supply not being sufficient, but it would seem to me that if this were the case, it would shutdown more frequently and more immediately after starting crysis (rather than 10 minutes into the game), but I don't know much about this.
2. If it cannot be solved completely: How can I makethe problem manageable? I don't want to play games on it (crysis was just to test), I just want to have a reliable laptop for word, excel, photoshop and internet and such, that doesn't fail on me right before a college deadline. Is it safe for my laptop to keep this problem unsolved and simply live with the fact that bootup effectively takes longer? or will this progressively destroy my computer/SSD/CPU making it fail after a while, if kept unsolved?

Something else that may be important: after installing windows 7 on my new SSD, it didn't have the drivers yet, so I used DRP (Driverpack solutions) to install the drivers on my computer. I didn't accept to install any programs.

A lot of thanks in advance!

Some additional info:
I have my power supply maximum cpu setting set to max 75%.

Here are my specs:
Model: Acer Aspire 5742G (Motherboard version V1.24)
BIOS: V1.24OS: Windows 7 64 bit SP1
CPU: Intel i5 450M, 2.4 Ghz (2 cores, 4 threads)
RAM: 2x Samsung PC3-10700 DDR3. (The newly installed RAM chip has 1 extra JEDEC thingy, but they seem to be both running at JEDEC 3, for which they have identical timings and voltage).
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GT 540M

Separate issue, but one that needs to be solved is the overheating problem - especially if it was getting near 100c during a game (was the CPU or GPU? CPU it should have shut off well before that...).

Would be a good idea to tear down the laptop and replace the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU with something new.

As for the actual not starting issue... It's possible that it's a RAM issue since you said it does it on first boot after just sitting. Did you add to the RAM that was already there, or did you replace it?

If you added to it, then let's test your RAM.
Go here: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool and burn the ISO to a disc.
Shutdown and take out the additional RAM you added so its just down to the RAM that was stock.
Boot off of the disc and let it run (minimum of 4 hours, longer recommended). If you get ANY errors at all.. there's a problem with RAM. You'll have to test 1 stick at a time to see which stick(s) are the culprit.

Also, you mentioned drivers... check your Device Manager to make sure there are no problem devices. I'd also recommend updating all your drivers to the latest WITHOUT using a driverpack solution or something like that. Go to each manufacturer's website and get the latest driver for your components (GPU, sound, chipset, LAN, WLAN).

Separate issue, but one that needs to be solved is the overheating problem - especially if it was getting near 100c during a game (was the CPU or GPU? CPU it should have shut off well before that...).

Would be a good idea to tear down the laptop and replace the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU with something new.

As for the actual not starting issue... It's possible that it's a RAM issue since you said it does it on first boot after just sitting. Did you add to the RAM that was already there, or did you replace it?

If you added to it, then let's test your RAM.
Go here: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool and burn the ISO to a disc.
Shutdown and take out the additional RAM you added so its just down to the RAM that was stock.
Boot off of the disc and let it run (minimum of 4 hours, longer recommended). If you get ANY errors at all.. there's a problem with RAM. You'll have to test 1 stick at a time to see which stick(s) are the culprit.

Also, you mentioned drivers... check your Device Manager to make sure there are no problem devices. I'd also recommend updating all your drivers to the latest WITHOUT using a driverpack solution or something like that. Go to each manufacturer's website and get the latest driver for your components (GPU, sound, chipset, LAN, WLAN).

Thanks alot for the detailed and thorough response! I really appreciate it!

I did not replace the RAM, I added 4 GB ram to the already installed 4GB. The two RAM cips are the same model (Samsung DDR3 PC3-10600 and they both run on the timings: 533, 7, 7, 7, 20 and on 1.5 V).
I ran the Diagnostic Tool for RAM you suggested with both RAM's inside for 5 hours. it went through it 2 times (which I suspect means 2 times for the entire 8 GB). It gave no errors at all.

About the Drivers:
I've never manually downloaded drivers before, so I don't know if I'm doing it right, but I downloaded GeForce Experience, which automatically updated my driver (geforce GT 540M). Then I went to Intel.com, but their automatic driver update utility says that the driver for my chipset is "moved, renamed or archived", so I have to manually find it. When I go to the specific page for the Intel HD graphics driver it says this:
These software drivers are generic versions and can be used for general purposes. However, computer original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM system, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software provided by your system manufacturer.
When I go to the acer website, it indeed has all the drivers for the laptop's parts, but they are all from 2010 (Approx. when I bought the laptop). Should I download the one from Acer, or download the Intel's "generic" driver?

Also: windows update says that all drivers are the most recent versions, but intel's driver update utility says my driver needs to be updated.

About the CPU cooling: yes it was the CPU that got to 98 degrees, but this was really the maximum. it was usually at about 90 while playing crysis, and at max 80 while doing other non-game things, but most of the time it's at 50/60. I don't really have the skill or time to replace the paste, and this laptopmodel is very hard to open up (I checked a video that showed you have to take out the keyboard and various wires before being able to expose the CPU for this particular model). However, since I won't need to use the laptop for games anyway, I am willing to just solve the overheating problem by setting the max CPU utilization in battery settings very low. As long as the overheating problem isn't somehow causing the shutoff's during boot up, that is not a problem to me.

ps. Do you maybe know if there is a way to find more information on the error message nr 41 Kernel-Power? I've heard that there is more information on the BSOD, or on the memory dump? Is there a way for me to access this information?

Thanks alot for the detailed and thorough response! I really appreciate it!

I did not replace the RAM, I added 4 GB ram to the already installed 4GB. The two RAM cips are the same model (Samsung DDR3 PC3-10600 and they both run on the timings: 533, 7, 7, 7, 20 and on 1.5 V).
I ran the Diagnostic Tool for RAM you suggested with both RAM's inside for 5 hours. it went through it 2 times (which I suspect means 2 times for the entire 8 GB). It gave no errors at all.
Hopefully we can rule RAM out. Maybe try running only the newer set of RAM sticks for now, just to make sure it isn't an issue with the set of old RAM.

About the Drivers:
I've never manually downloaded drivers before, so I don't know if I'm doing it right, but I downloaded GeForce Experience, which automatically updated my driver (geforce GT 540M). Then I went to Intel.com, but their automatic driver update utility says that the driver for my chipset is "moved, renamed or archived", so I have to manually find it. When I go to the specific page for the Intel HD graphics driver it says this:

When I go to the acer website, it indeed has all the drivers for the laptop's parts, but they are all from 2010 (Approx. when I bought the laptop). Should I download the one from Acer, or download the Intel's "generic" driver?

Also: windows update says that all drivers are the most recent versions, but intel's driver update utility says my driver needs to be updated.
Depends, what's the date of the generic driver? Does it have one listed?

Could you expand all the entries under Device Manager and then post screenshots so we can see what hardware configuration we're working with?

About the CPU cooling: yes it was the CPU that got to 98 degrees, but this was really the maximum. it was usually at about 90 while playing crysis, and at max 80 while doing other non-game things, but most of the time it's at 50/60. I don't really have the skill or time to replace the paste, and this laptopmodel is very hard to open up (I checked a video that showed you have to take out the keyboard and various wires before being able to expose the CPU for this particular model). However, since I won't need to use the laptop for games anyway, I am willing to just solve the overheating problem by setting the max CPU utilization in battery settings very low. As long as the overheating problem isn't somehow causing the shutoff's during boot up, that is not a problem to me.
If you don't want to repaste it, then getting a cooling pad would help in general as well.

ps. Do you maybe know if there is a way to find more information on the error message nr 41 Kernel-Power? I've heard that there is more information on the BSOD, or on the memory dump? Is there a way for me to access this information?

You can look to see if there is a dump file under C:\Windows\Minidump
If there is from the dates of your crashes, then you can upload that and we can analyze it.

Back
Top Bottom