Delayed Power Normal?

Raw P

Baseband Member
Hey guys.

I just finished putting together my rig (every single part is brand new). I finally got my computer to turn on but it has a delayed boot that doesn't seen normal.

What happens is that I push the power button. The computer turns on for about 0.5-1 second then everything shuts off. Then after about 1.5-2 seconds the computer automatically turns back on (I never pressed the power button a second time). By then, the computer seems to be running fine (I didn't leave it on for long since I still have to install windows and I'm just afraid to let it run longer).

I'm just wondering if this is normal or I should look into what went wrong when putting my rig together. This is my first computer is ages so I'm leaning towards user error than some faulty unit.

Curiously, did you make changes in the BIOS? Was it the first time it was booted since power had been fully removed from the unit? Does this happen EVERY time you go to power the unit on?

almost sounds like the Power Good signal from the power supply to the motherboard is taking too long.
What brand name and wattage is this power supply in your pc?
Are you running a video card? again, brand and model number?
How many hard drives are you trying to power up?

Last edited:
I've been busy since my original post but soon I'm gonna check the wires and try turning it on without the GPU.

I just unplugged everything (left cpu/fan and ram) and only plugged in the 24pin and CPU pin power supply cables. I left the 2 sticks of ram and had same problem but when I only used one it looked like the problem was fixed.

I'm sorry PP Mguire... But can you explain what I need to change? I remember reading from the reviews of the ram that even though the sticks say 1600 it actually comes stock at 1330. Should I change them to 1600 and see what happens?

Looks like after changing the ram from 1330 to 1600 it works now. But was this supposed to happen when I had 1330 setting?

And I found a second reason why my problem was occurring. There is a button on my video card that switches between bios. I think when I had enable UEFI I would be the delayed boot. I pushed the button and it looks to be good.

So it was both the ram and the video card bios that gave me initial problems.

Invalid RAM timings or speed would cause that. It would try booting, detect wrong settings, reboot with optimized settings.

If it's fixed, nothing else to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom