AGP and PCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Completenoob

Solid State Member
If my motherboard has an AGP slot do i have to use an AGP video card, or can i use a PCI card. Which would work better? Do AGP cards work better than a PCI card?

you can use a pci slot but you most definitely do not want to. agp is much better, also pci cards are typically not very good, more expensive and harder to find. go with the agp. also you would not want a pci card for any kind of future use, it would be a worthless card in a very short time if it was ever good.

what kind of question was that... AGP has the best cards out.. the ati Xx00 series, nvidia 6800 series... PCI only goes up to like ati rad 9600. PCI is 4x, AGP is 8x

U-Toast said:
what kind of question was that... AGP has the best cards out.. the ati Xx00 series, nvidia 6800 series... PCI only goes up to like ati rad 9600. PCI is 4x, AGP is 8x
We're obviously dealing with a person who doesn't know the difference between PCI and AGP, that's why he asked the question.

PCI-Express is something totally different from PCI. PCI is parralell and PCI-E is Serial. PCI-E supports far higher transfer speeds. I would get PCI-E cause they will soon release very good card for PCI-E.

Oh, I thought PCI Express was just a type of card you put into the PCI slot. That clears things up for me, because i dont have PCI express slots on my motherboard, just PCI and AGP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom