Building a PC in the near future; would this suffice?

battleof3

Baseband Member
Basically the title says it all. My ambitions for this desktop is to play games like TESV: Skyrim, BF3/BF4, Tomb Raider 2013, most of the Counterstrike series, Minecraft, Garry's Mod, Rust, etc. on anywhere from medium to maxed settings (antialiasing isn't much of a worry for me). I'm not worried about full 1080p resolution, as 720-900p is totally fine by me. My biggest concern is to play games from 2013-2014 on medium to max settings at a steady 40+ frames per second. I've listed some parts here. Yes, I could've gone with a GeForce 750, but I want in on AMD's Silver deal, where you can pick two free AAA titles.

I'm mostly concerned about the CPU bottlenecking the GPU, or vice versa. Just wanted some suggestions on alternative parts. Much love! <3

The 270 is better than the 750 anyways.

How near is near? If you're talking a month or more than come back with a real budget and we'll maximize performance to said budget.

Quick reply! Thanks, mayne! And my birthday is coming up soon. I currently only have about $140 USD, however That'll probably get bumped up to about $300. I'll work the rest off. And the link entails that the PC is $600. So that's my goal. This is al hypothetical. Just wanted some suggestions.

PS - I repped you earlier. Saw that you're on Xfire. Glad to see people still active there! c:

As per one of the things I mentioned in my guide (I'm assuming wasn't read), don't window shop until you have cash in hand and ready to buy. You don't want to get your hopes up on a build then deals are different, parts are gone, or other such things. Prices and availability change daily.

Anyways, you'd be better off with the Pentium G3258, an Asus H81 motherboard, and a 2x4GB 1600MHz kit for the money. You can also ditch that cooler for extra cash, and drop the PSU to a Seasonic 620 S1211 because it's better and cheaper.

For instance, a rig to be bought NOW for your purpose I would suggest this.
Intel Pentium G3258, Gigabyte Radeon R9 270, NZXT Source 210 (Black) - System Build - PCPartPicker

I'll answer the questions you will more than likely ask.

Yes, the Pentium is quite capable of gaming. Yes, it is better than the Athlon for gaming. No, being a quad doesn't make the Athlon better than the Pentium dual core. Why the CM EVO? Because you had room to spare. Is the H81 board enough? More than plenty with room to grow to an i5 later.

Last edited:
I know the Pentium is very capable of gaming, and I don't have many questions. I understand that "window shopping" can and in many cases is quite disappointing. And I am not window shopping. I am simply trying to get a feel for what I would want to build, so I am looking for others' opinions. And thanks for yours, BTW! I find it quite helpful! Much love to your face, mate! c:

I know the Pentium is very capable of gaming, and I don't have many questions. I understand that "window shopping" can and in many cases is quite disappointing. And I am not window shopping. I am simply trying to get a feel for what I would want to build, so I am looking for others' opinions. And thanks for yours, BTW! I find it quite helpful! Much love to your face, mate! c:
Uhhh window shopping lol. I was at the mall getting a feel for what I want to buy my son for Christmas but not buying now. That's window shopping. ;)

The Pentium rapes and can be overclocked to match i7 performance in gaming. It's why I'm so gungho over recommending it to people.

Oh yeah, you mentioned a guide? I hadn't seen that. Mind linking me to it?
Top of the subforum you posted in. It's a sticky.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/

Uhhh window shopping lol. I was at the mall getting a feel for what I want to buy my son for Christmas but not buying now. That's window shopping. ;)

The Pentium rapes and can be overclocked to match i7 performance in gaming. It's why I'm so gungho over recommending it to people.

Top of the subforum you posted in. It's a sticky.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/
Is there not a difference between considering what you want to buy in the future vs. fantasizing/getting someone's opinion on what you should buy?

And thanks. What're you talking about? I'm not blind... :silly:

In PCs? Not really.

I sit here and talk about what I want to buy with a few good friends and via text by a forum member here. Or I know about what's coming out soon, then wait for articles about said parts and want those, or want to go back to custom water or just anything like that. It's all basically window shopping. You either buy or you don't.

Ah. Good point. Well, thanks for the tips, mayne. I'm going to have to wait a bit either way, so I may as well get the subject off my mind until then, as you said. I'm headed off to bed (It's 14:27 here, and school starts Thursday...)

Anyways, it's been great chatting with ya'. Hope to keep in touch. You seem like a really great guy. G'morning, mate.

Back
Top Bottom