RAM problem, help

Your having a memory problem, if you don't mind.
Please read me the model/serial number off of the memory modules so I can see what you have.

Also are those 2 memory sticks the same brand or a mix pair ?
If its a mix pair of ram, I can see why you would be having a problem right about now.

yes, same brand, here you have a pic i've posted before, and why would it fail when trying the 4gb dimm alone (in the upper slot) anyway? Thanks for your help man

mbtUkBi.jpg

yes, same brand, here you have a pic i've posted before, and why would it fail when trying the 4gb dimm alone (in the upper slot) anyway?

Who knows but I think joe is correct a couple of posts ago.
Just be to sure we need one last thing, give us your laptop model number and serial number.
Boot into bios and check which revision you have.

The only thing that could fix your issue is getting compatible memory that the manufacturer recommends.
Also the ram you listed is at 1600mhz wondering if the ram speed may need to be dropped to 1333 in order for it function right.

Thanks for any future info and being patient with us. :)

Lenovo G770
S/N CB14341773

I have the latest BIOS,and I think there is no way to drop the ram speed from it.

(sorry about the huge size of the image)

V1nupCJ.jpg

Lenovo G770
S/N CB14341773

I have the latest BIOS,and I think there is no way to drop the ram speed from it.

I'm betting 5 bucks paypal its a memory problem. :/
Personally I believe you should look into suitable memory for your laptop at 1333mhz.

I know you live in south america and don't know if you could get the parts you need in a timely manner locally or worldly.
Since one stick of ram is working currently use it and downgrade windows to 32bit mode until you get some new ram.
You'll need to back up any files you want and do a "clean" install.

Yes I know you hate the idea but atleast you have something to use for the time being.
CORSAIR 4GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model CMSO4GX3M1C1333C9 - Newegg.com
Have a look at this here I believe that would be enough for your ibm machine.
Someone on ebay or amazon may have it and can ship to your country.

I'm betting 5 bucks paypal its a memory problem. :/
Personally I believe you should look into suitable memory for your laptop at 1333mhz.

I know you live in south america and don't know if you could get the parts you need in a timely manner locally or worldly.
Since one stick of ram is working currently use it and downgrade windows to 32bit mode until you get some new ram.
You'll need to back up any files you want and do a "clean" install.

Yes I know you hate the idea but atleast you have something to use for the time being.
CORSAIR 4GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model CMSO4GX3M1C1333C9 - Newegg.com
Have a look at this here I believe that would be enough for your ibm machine.
Someone on ebay or amazon may have it and can ship to your country.

Thank you so much Rock Man , I guess I will just use the 4gb dimm in the lower slot, I don't have errors that way.

Sorry to ask you again, but why would it work on the lower slot and not in the upper?

Rock, they are two different sizes, same brand/speed. Came from the factory like that it seems.

My only thought is that the memory controller is having issues... The 2GB stick tests both slots just fine, but the 4GB stick fails in all configurations except for one, thats the upper slot by it self.

I highly suggest buying a 2*4GB memory kit... That's the only way to rule out two different sizes causing issues.

Rock, they are two different sizes, same brand/speed. Came from the factory like that it seems.

My only thought is that the memory controller is having issues... The 2GB stick tests both slots just fine, but the 4GB stick fails in all configurations except for one, thats the upper slot by it self.

@corro: Yes I understand completely but you make a good point about memory controller.
If that gets screwed up he wouldn't be able to use his system at all.

The only thing I can suggest, find a local shop in argentina that does computer work.
Tell them you want to test a 4gb stick of ram in slot 1 first and then slot 2.
Tell them you are trying to rule out the possibillity of memory controller failure.

If their ddr3 ram works on both sockets and boots up fine for one day.
Do like I suggested last night and look into some new ram.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Essential/Lenovo-G770-with-16GB-of-RAM/td-p/743607

I recommend you read that its pretty similiar to your current problem.
Register over there get a second opinion and have them look at this thread for any needed info on your issue.

I'll dig around on the net this week for some memory that will work with your laptop.

another quick update, I was running more memtests after cleaning everything with compressed air with hope that something was fixed, but after 20 mins or so (as it always happens when the 4gb stick is in the upper slot) the computer shut down and then it wouldn't turn on, I had to wait around 5 minutes for it to turn on again (this also had happened before when I got the blue screens running windows normally)...I guess this is a more serious problem rather than a deffective stick :S

another quick update, I was running more memtests after cleaning everything with compressed air with hope that something was fixed, but after 20 mins or so (as it always happens when the 4gb stick is in the upper slot) the computer shut down and then it wouldn't turn on, I had to wait around 5 minutes for it to turn on again (this also had happened before when I got the blue screens running windows normally)...I guess this is a more serious problem rather than a deffective stick :S

Check the cpu tempature in bios or download this and use in windows.
Open Hardware Monitor - Core temp, fan speed and voltages in a free software gadget

If that is indeed the real problem, the thermal pad, and whatever else connected to the heatsink will need to be replaced.
Google your laptop and search for thermal pad replacement guide on google videos or youtube.

Back
Top Bottom