Samsung Galaxy Tablet to replace laptop

Well as an update I have spoken to work who are willing to get me a laptop to use for CAD work if required at home etc but I will not be able to do any personal work on it. So I would still require a laptop/ultrabook for home and uni use for the normal/day to day software.

I would like something smallish (12 - 15inch), light enough to carry around a lot and something that is able to run minor games from time to time as an option. Thoughts?

I keep coming back to the Dell XPS and Acer S7 but having done some research they both seem to have noise/heat issues.

P.S. Any way to change the topic to something more suited now? Such as 'Deciding on an ultrabook/laptop'

Thanks.

What kind of games do you mean by 'minor' games?

And is the budget for this one the same as the other one?

It wouldn't be anything like first person shooters that take up a heap of processing power, more the RPG games that I like - I don't have anything in mind but obviously want to keep my options open should I find something I like.

As for budget, probably pushing it up now to just over a grand - these darn ultrabooks have got my heart racing for one hahaha!

Many thanks, I have been told to avoid HP by a friend but I have never had one personally. I've never had a Lenovo either, are they any good or are they more for the bottom range of the market?

I keep coming back to the Dell XPS 13 from shopping around, do you reckon this would be ok for my use?

Thanks!

HP's Elitebooks (business class) are nice - their consumer lines are generally lower quality (same with Dell). Lenovo's are good as well; their business line is fantastic (ThinkPads), but their consumer line is pretty good as well.

I have just been looking and Autodesk say that AutoCAD LT required at least 3ghz to run - is this even for the basic of basic drawings? I was hoping that I would possibly be able to do some simpler things on an ultrabook, just basic lines, text, boxes etc that wouldn't make the file size around 1MB rather than working on xrefs. Would I be able to run it on something a bit less powerful if I was only working on small drawings or is the absolute minimum requirement 3ghz?

That's a Pentium 4 at 3.0GHz at least. A P4 is a single core CPU.

You will have a dual or quad core (depending on what CPU you get), so you don't have to worry about that CPU requirement.

5) While Android supports multiple apps running at the same time in the background, you only have 1 on screen at any given time (unless you root your device and get the "multiwindow" mods working); which makes multitasking a bit of a PITA.

My phone (while not a tablet, but damn near close to it) supports multi-window just fine. Figured larger tablets would support it seeing as the galaxy mega does right out of the box.

Back
Top Bottom