RAM problem, help

my laptop is a lenovo g770 but i can't find the motherboard specs anywhere, never buying a lenovo again.

Thanks Corrosive, i have friends in the USA, I could ship them to their address and then they would post them to me.

Hello everyone, few weeks ago the famous "blue screens"

If you can boot back into windows again, can you pull those error stop codes for us ?
Hit start, type even viewer.exe in the search bar hi enter.
Click windows logs, next click hardware logs, when the error started to show up find a exclamation point or red x.
It should contain the info of when windows crashed and gave out a error stop code.

If you can boot back into windows again, can you pull those error stop codes for us ?
Hit start, type even viewer.exe in the search bar hi enter.
Click windows logs, next click hardware logs, when the error started to show up find a exclamation point or red x.
It should contain the info of when windows crashed and gave out a error stop code.

Ok, i will put both sticks back and use the computer normally, as soon as i get a blue screen (it may take 1 or two days)I will post the error codes.

By the way, would it help cleaning the slots with those contact cleaners sprays?

You can probably use Electronics Cleaner spray to clean the contacts, but make sure you have the board removed and don't let the spray come in contact with thermal compounds on the board. Also, the CPU on that motherboard supports 16GB of RAM, but only if you have four slots available, 4GB per slot maximum is all that it can support.

Your best bet would be canned air...

If you want to go into the very risky/dangerous field of modding the BIOS of that laptop, and take a risk of ruining it, read this, https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Essential/Lenovo-G770-with-16GB-of-RAM/td-p/743607

Last edited:
hey guys, was checking my laptop manual and it says "if only one dimm is used it MUST be installed in the lower slot, not in the upper one"

Do you think that could really be "so important" to make memtest fail when i use only one dimm in the upper slot?

http://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User%27s%20guides%20and%20manuals/G770/Lenovo%20G770%20Hardware%20Maintenance%20Manual%20V1.0%20%28English%29.pdf

(page 40 of the manual or 44 of the PDF file)

Another question, which tool is better memtest86 or memtest86+?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
hey guys, was checking my laptop manual and it says "if only one dimm is used it MUST be installed in the lower slot, not in the upper one"
Do you think that could really be "so important" to make memtest fail when i use only one dimm in the upper slot?

Another question, which tool is better memtest86 or memtest86+?

I hardly doubt that, but do what the manual says anyway.
For now we will just trust IBM on what their saying until proven wrong from the end results you get.
Test the memory in the second slot and report everything that happens.

MemTest86 - Download now!
Honestly I don't even bother with memorytest.
If the ram is gonna go bad and there warning signs to prove it just rma it under your warrenty and be done with it.

Update...

After testing each possible combination several times for hours (sometimes more than 3 days) I've come to these "results" (excuse my english):

2gb dimm only installed in the upper slot: no errors

2gb dimm only installed in the lower slot: no errors

4gb dimm only installed in the lower slot: no errors

4gb dimm only installed in the upper slot: errors after 20 minutes, they vary, sometimes memtest show errors, sometimes it freezes, sometimes computer restarts,sometimes memtest says "CPU HALTING-ERROR"

2gb in upper slot and 4gb in lower slot: errors usually after running memtest for 48 or more hours, and this is how they were installed originally by the manufacturer and how I started having the "blue screens".

4gb in upper slot 2gb in lower slot: same than 4gb alone on upper slot, errors soon after starting to run memtest

So my best option is to just use the 4gb dimm on the lower slot....

Im just curious why the 2gb dimm works on the upper slot and the 4gb does not, its really weird.

If it would be of any help I could use the computer normally with the 4gb dimm in the lower slot and the 2gb in the upper and give you guys the error that the blue screen shows up.

Thanks again everyone for your help

Last edited:
Update...

Im just curious why the 2gb dimm works on the upper slot and the 4gb does not, its really weird.

If it would be of any help I could use the computer normally with the 4gb dimm in the lower slot and the 2gb in the upper and give you guys the error that the blue screen shows up.

Thanks again everyone for your help

Your having a memory problem, if you don't mind.
Please read me the model/serial number off of the memory modules so I can see what you have.

Also are those 2 memory sticks the same brand or a mix pair ?
If its a mix pair of ram, I can see why you would be having a problem right about now.

Back
Top Bottom