No HDMI signal to Sony Bravia KDL-40W55 TV

kinekun

Beta member
I usually lurk around these kind of forums and search for info until I find what I need, but right now I've run into such a specific problem that I am completely unable to pinpoint the error myself.

Until recently I used an HDMI-cable to output a signal from my AMD Radeon 5800 Series graphics card to my Sony Bravia KDL-40W5500 TV. Everything was working fine. But recently, the TV abruptly refuses to take any input signal from the computer.

I've tried various different things:

*Updated the drivers to the TV.
* Software resetted the TV to Factory Settings
*Checked if the problem is in the HDMI cable. The cable works fine. With other devies.
' Connected a PS3 in the four different HDMI ports of the TV. All of them work fine.
* Disconnected the TV and computer and had the mdisconnected for several hours. No change when they are connected again.
* Fruitlessly connected the graphics card through all the TV's HDMI ports.
*Downgraded the computer drivers with 3 different version and tried connecting to the TV through different resolution.
*Disconnecting the graphics card and cleaning it up. Also checking if something was loose.

Funny thing is, the computer recognizes the TV through the screen resolution settings, as well as through the playback devices option. The TV, however, when I enter the Home-->Settings-->Setup-->HDMI Setup--> HDMI Device List says that "NO devices detected" even when the computer is connected.

Any help on this would be appreciated since I don't know where else to turn. Sony Support tried helping me at first, but quickly brushed me off and told me the problem was with the computer and not the TV (even though it seems like the TV is somehow unable to get the signal).

I'm running Windows 8.1 with an AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series card that's fully updated.

I'm wondering if the TV can accept the input resolution from your computer - if you're running windows use the windows button + P to quick-toggle multiple monitor settings; set it to duplicate and hook up another monitor or TV that will work. Assuming, that is, that you have a video card that supports it. Then you can adjust resolution settings to see what the TV will accept; although a quicker way if you don't have another display would be to check the manual on the TV to see what its accepted input resolutions are.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply iParanormal.

I tried connecting my ordinary computer monitor and the TV at the same time, set to duplicate mode. I went through all resolutions from 1024x678 up to 1920x1080, but none of them worked. The TV set was working fine on 1920x1080 before but one day it just stopped supporting that resolution.

Does the TV say anything like "no signal input" or "check connection"?

Also check the refresh rate, if you are EU make sure you set it accordingly.

It doesn't give a message like "no signal". But whenever I change channel he displays a bar in the upper left with channel information, like "HDMI 3" or "AV" and such. When he gets a signal this disappears after a little while. But now when trying to display the computer HDMI channel it doesn't disappear at all.

I downloaded an official manual that said the TV supports 1920x1080 at 60hz, which is the current settings I'm trying to use.

Does your TV and PC have VGA - the oval-ish shaped 15-pin (usually blue) connector? If so try that.

Another step to hone in on the problem would be to try another TV or monitor - just to be sure its not the computers HDMI output.

The computer has DVI and HDMI, no VGA. The idea to take another computer and connect it to the TV is pretty good though. I will try with my roommates´ computer once he returns from his vacation to see if it works.

Aright, issue "resolved . So this is what happened.

My buddy returned home. We tried connecting his computer to the TV. No issues at all, image shows up instantaneously. We tried my computer again. No image. I reinstalled Windows 8 hoping there was some software configuration I had missed. No TV signal. Wiped the disk and installed Windows 7 instead. Nothing. Back to Windows 8 again. Still nothing.

In the end I found a converter for DVI-->HDMI. I plug that into my graphics DVI slot into the TV's HDMI port. The heavens parted and there was light. My TV monitor was alive with the frisk and luminous light of my web browser.

The problem was never resolved. It was sidestepped. And that's good enough for now.

For some reason I get sound through the DVI pot as well. But that's a helpful mystery to solve for some other time.

Back
Top Bottom