Need opinions on my first build please.

Inzekt

Beta member
Hi all. I've been looking to build my own computer and I got feedback from a company that does it. They told me that if I mainly prefer to game, that the following specs would be more than enough.

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4820K processor (4 cores, 10 MB cache, able to overclock to 4.2 GHz with Turbo Boost)

Videocard: AMD Radeon(TM) R9 270 with 2 GB GDDR5
RAM-memory: 16.384 MB (4 x 4 GB) DDR3 Quad Channel (1.600 MHz)
Harddisk: 1 TB SATA 6 Gb/s (7.200 rpm) 32 MB cache
Slots:
internal expansion slots: (2x) PCI-Express x16 (electrical specifications: x16/x16)
(2x) PCI-Express x1
memoryslots: 4x 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM-slots

Ports:
I/O-ports on front(2x) Hi-Speed USB 2.0
(1x) SuperSpeed USB 3.0
(1x) Microphone in
(1x) Headphone/Speakers out
(1x) 19-in-1 memorycardreader (optional)

I/O-ports on rear(1x) RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet
(4x) Hi-Speed USB 2.0
(1x) SuperSpeed USB 3.0
(1x) Microphone in
(1x) line-in
(1x) Frontspeakers left/right
(1x) Centralspeakers
(1x) Rearspeakers left/right
(1x) Sidespeakers left/right
(1x) SPDIF-digital output (TOSLINK)
(1x) SPDIF-digital output (Coax)

They also included a more expensive version(costs about 1100 more), which only differed in
Graph card: NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX(TM) TITAN Z (instead of AMD)
RAM: 32.768 MB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3 Quad Channel (1.600 MHz) (instead of 16mb)
Hard disk: 256 GB SSD + 1 TB SATA 6 Gb/s (7.200 rpm) 32 MB cache (instead of the singular 1 TB SATA)

The rest(ports and slots) were the same.

I'm personally not as tech-savvy so would like to know what you guys think.
Is there really that much of a difference between the AMD and NVIDIA and between the singular 1TB SATA and combined SSD + SATA to make it worth paying an additional 1100 more? Is there any other tweaks you guys would prefer or suggest? Money is not that much of an issue, but if possible I'd rather not spend tons on it if you know what I mean.

I apologize for the directness of this post, I just need to make up my mind fast and mail them back so I rather hear from a large audience who are more experienced in this matter.

Thank you all in advance.

(p.s.: I hope you guys can make sense of the specs, half of what is written kinda sounds Chinese to me :p)

Yea, that is the enthusiast socket 2011. They are trying to rip you for your ignorance in PCs mate.

The Titan-Z is a 3000 dollar card and the 270 is worth around 130 bucks USD. That's why the price difference.

Tell them you want an i5 4460, an Asus H81 board, 8GB of 1600MHz dual channel RAM, and something more realistic for a graphics card. GTX 760, 770, or 780ti. Whichever one makes your budget. 250GB Samsung EVO SSD and 1TB Western Digital Blue drive or Seagate Barracuda.

250GB Samsung EVO SSD and 1TB Western Digital Blue drive or Seagate Barracuda.

Could you inform me a little bit more on where the difference lies between those that you listed and the ones that the company sent me other than the 6GB?

256 GB SSD + 1 TB SATA 6 Gb/s (7.200 rpm) 32 MB cache
vs
250GB Samsung EVO SSD and 1TB Western Digital Blue/Barracuda.

Thanks for the i5 suggestion though, I've looked deeper into it and the i7 didn't seem to be worth it considering the money. I've also decided to go with the 8GB RAM.
I've also looked more into the Western Digital and Barracuda and came up with
"Western Caviar Black 1TB SATA and Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2 TB SATA"

The price difference between the Western Caviar Black and Seagate Barracuda was extremely small, so I'm thinking I'd be better off if I plugged in the Seagate Barracuda 2TB instead of the 1TB WD ?

What do you think about the following:
Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB DDR3-1866
Intel SSD 520 Series 120 GB

I'm just trying to piece together what would go best with what considering the price of the components.

On the matter of the graphic cards, the 3GB Radeon R9 280X seems to be way cheaper than the GTX 770 or 780Ti, so would that be a viable option or would you still suggest a GTX card?

Once again I apologize if this looks too spammy or if it sounds silly.
Thanks in advance, and thanks so far for your information.

A little Google of the names in question can go a long ways, considering I already gave you the price difference. The TItan-Z is a 3000 dollar over priced dual GPU card. Yes, it has 2 GPUs on one single board and it costs 3000 bucks, probably more over the pond. The 270x is a mid range graphics card. There is a HUGE difference. HUGE. The Titan-Z is not worth the cost. Think of the Titan-Z like having 2 780ti chips on one board.

Over there the Blue should be cheaper. It doesn't matter which drive you go with as they all perform the same. The only difference is warranty, and size comparing the 2TB Seagate.

No to the Intel. Stick with a Samsung EVO.
You don't need any RAM faster than 1600MHz.

The 780ti is a lot more powerful than the 280x or the 770. The 280x and 770 are comparable to each other in class and performance. Getting an Nvidia card over an AMD is only a matter if you want Shadowplay which is recording/streaming software that uses the GPU to encode rather than the CPU. A similar software to compare to would be FRAPS which is a resource hog.

To elaborate more on the i5/i7 thing. The i7 they quoted you, the 4820k, is on a completely different platform. The X79 platform is "enthusiast" and is more expensive whereas the i5 is on the "mainstream" platform (Z97, Z87, H87/97, H81, B85 chipsets). The 4820k is also a quad core which can be compared to something like the i5 4460. 4820k is a 3rd gen, the 4460 is a 4th gen. Probably a bit too much here for you, but in a nut shell they are just trying to sell you expensive parts that seem flashy. The difference between an i5 and i7 is HT, games don't use HT. I'm only assuming you're wanting a gaming rig here.

Back
Top Bottom