unmountable boot volume/kernel stack inpage error

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB3JUV

Baseband Member
Maybe someone can help me out,

I am working on a Dell 2300 with Windows XP Pro that has a problem with Windows shutting completely down and a Kernel_Stack_Inpage_Error every once and a while. It alternates between the 0x00000077 and 0x0000007A message. In the parameters, the I/O Status Code always is a 0xC0000185 which is Status_IO_Device_Error which indicates improper termination, defective storage controller hardware, defective disk cabling, or two devices attempting to use the same system resources.

I have opened the computer up checked the cable between the hard drive and mother board and it looks fine. It fits snug and its not loose. I have looked at the IRQ's and the IDE controller is not sharing an IRQ with anything else. I have also run CHKDSK too.

After the Windows shuts down, this screen pops up, and it dumps the memory I shut the computer down. After I reboot the system, the Unmountable_Boot_Volume message comes up (0x000000ED). After restarting it over and over again alternating between Safe Mode and starting Windows normally it keeps on bringing the message up. Then after a while, the computer starts up normally. It will work fine after that.

This problem doesnt happen at a certain time or at certain intervals. It will just stop whatever it is doing and shut windows down. Sometimes it only lasts minutes, sometimes it will stay on for 12 hours.

Anybody think they know what the problem might be?

have you tried either A) a new drive or B) a new cable?
a lot of these errors end up being hardware.

edit: just an additional thought.....that i/o address is really interesting. it's not memory. it seems as if to be your drive.
have you checked for boot sector viruses lately or viruses in general?

I'd rather not try a new drive. As for another cable, I don't have one.

I ran AVG on it and it found no viruses.

yes you may want to do a new boot sector, i got that error starting up and eventually made a new boot sector and i think thats what fixed it.

hmm im tryin to remember... someone on this forum helped me do it.. it was confusing, i had to write it down... darn what was it..... im waiting for a reply from the mods about finding an old thread... ill post again in a bit.

Does it boot normaly some time.If so have you tryed to reset it back with a earler restore point.How long has it been doing this.

It does boot normally sometimes. I don't want to restore it because of all the files that this lady has on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom