Custom power switch/button

ncore

Baseband Member
Hello, I'm planning to change the power button of my case though I can't find a switch or button and 2 pin cables so I don't have to splice the existing one.

I see that there is a specific voltage for the button/switch I think not sure what voltage I should get.

Can someone help me please, UK sites are preferable.

The voltage just means that's what the switch can handle up to usually (IIRC, been a while since I've done electronics stuff like that).

Can't remember what the voltage would be off hand for it (probably 5v or 12v), but you can just measure it with a multimeter on the power button's front panel header pins. But really, any momentary pushbutton switch should do.

Is there any site where I can get a 2 pin connector specifically for the power/reset button?

You're wanting a power/reset all in 1 switch? You'd probably have to find a momentary switch with more than 2 states (press or push and hold like a normal power switch behaves).

If you want them separate still... then like I said... any 2 pin momentary push button switch will do. There are some switches with built-in LEDs that illuminate, and you'd just have to wire up the LED side to a constant power source if it's on (if that's what you wanted).

You're wanting a power/reset all in 1 switch? You'd probably have to find a momentary switch with more than 2 states (press or push and hold like a normal power switch behaves).

If you want them separate still... then like I said... any 2 pin momentary push button switch will do. There are some switches with built-in LEDs that illuminate, and you'd just have to wire up the LED side to a constant power source if it's on (if that's what you wanted).

No not all in 1 but separate, yeah I couldn't find something like that I tried ebay and other pc sites but no luck. :/

Last edited:
If you have any older cases around, you can remove a power switch from that. Very old cases did not use a push button type of switch but those cases are nearly extinct today (pre windows 98).
If you do not have any older cases around you might find one at a scrap yard.

I use one of these push button switches I got from an old case to pre-test motherboards before I install them into a new case to make sure it'll post and set the clock in the bios

Last edited:
16 or 18 gauge (AWG) is fine.

Or the site you're ordering from already this this, which would be easier (especially if you're thinking about getting a lighted momentary switch like a lot of the ones listed on that link are): Kustom PCs 60cm Vandal Resistant Illuminated Switch Connection Cable

Otherwise, if you're getting a non-lighted set, you can get the 16 or 18AWG wire and a couple quick disconnect connectors for the switch you're getting, and then just re-use the header connector that the existing switch is using by popping out the existing wires/pins from the header and replacing the wire with the wire you bought.

16 or 18 gauge (AWG) is fine.

Or the site you're ordering from already this this, which would be easier (especially if you're thinking about getting a lighted momentary switch like a lot of the ones listed on that link are): Kustom PCs 60cm Vandal Resistant Illuminated Switch Connection Cable

Otherwise, if you're getting a non-lighted set, you can get the 16 or 18AWG wire and a couple quick disconnect connectors for the switch you're getting, and then just re-use the header connector that the existing switch is using by popping out the existing wires/pins from the header and replacing the wire with the wire you bought.

Oh right cool, I might just get that wire then, because It'd be nice to see if the mobo or HD LED are actually working. Question, do I need a separate led for the HD light (its the annoying blinking LED is for the HD, right?) if I get one of the illuminated switch.

Back
Top Bottom