New GPU Power Question

bbell1102

Beta member
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and looking for some help.

I recently got a MSI Lightning GTX 680 from my friend for free, and got it in the mail this morning, and was hoping to hook it up, but came to realize when I opened my case I lacked the proper power plugs.

He only sent the card, so I didn't get the adapters to go from the 2 molex 4 to an 8 pin.

What my question is though, is I have an Antec 650W PSU, that has a reg 6 pin power plug AND a 6+2 Pin power plug. From what I researched and read, the two extra wires in the 8 pin can provide extra power if needed correct? and if that is the case, would I be ok to plug the 6+2 pin in one slot and the reg 6 pin in the other, or would I have to A) get a molex converter, or B) get a whole new PSU?

I read somewhere that my old card GTX 470 is more power hungry than the GTX 680, so I'm wondering if I really need those extra two wires on my second plug if indeed they only provide power when need be, or if I can get by with one 8 pin plugged in and one six pin plugged in.

I don't plan to OC the card anytime soon, and if I do, it would be after I upgrade my CPU/PSU etc.

I know I will get bottlenecked some by my CPU, but the most intensive game I play is Microsoft Flight Simulator X. The other games I play I get 50+ FPS, and if I get bottlenecked some and lose some FPS, as long as I don't drop below 20-25, I don't care. I see people talking about going from 100+ to 40-50, which to me..I'm not that hardcore.

Anyways, thanks for any and all input, here is my build with the majority of stuff taking power

AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.6
EVGA GTX 470SC (current) MSI Lightning GTX 680 (in question)
Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU
1 Western Dig. Caviar Black HDD
Hyper 212 EVO
4 Case fans

PS- I don't play any real intensive games, like I said the most intensive I play is FSX, my other games I play are DayZ Mod, sometimes DayZ SA, CS:GO and rarely play BF3/BF4 anymore.

The extra 2 pins are ground cables, but it allows 8pin to flow 150w vs 75w. Plugging in a 6+2 and 6pin should be fine as long as the digital VRM is configured for the setup from MSI. It would be stupid not to be, but the worst that can happen is a game will crash if the card tries to pull more wattage that is provided. A 150, 75/75 configuration should be perfectly acceptable for stock clocks though. I can pull over 300w with my FTW+ 4GB 680 which is an 8 + 6 configuration so be careful.

You will not get bottlenecked by your CPU.

Hey thanks alot for your input!

I'm gunna try out what you said, and see what happens. I will let you guys know!

So I tried plugging it in, and when I turned my computer on, it said please plug in this PCIe Graphics Card power or something like that.

The lights on the card and the fans turned on so it was getting some power. I tried switching the ports that I had my 1 8 pin in, and same thing. I also have two monitors, so I D/Ced my secondary and same thing.

Is there a way to override this? Or is it just simply telling me A) I don't have enough power, or B) I need to get a molex converter?

Ok, yeah thats what I figured, I'll probably go hit the local Fry's tomorrow and grab that molex converter.

Again thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom