Whatcha think about this build?

x51noob

In Runtime
Trying to build my friend a PC he is on budget and this is pushing it. I'll add a core i3 from micro center and HDD he already has. I'm trying to color coordinate with his case choice.
Http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TMtD7P
That's the case he wants :/
And the bluray is a must.

What i3 does he have?

Ditch the 1866 RAM and just get 1600. I can understand the guy in the other thread getting 2133 because it's cheaper with the promo than 1600 but in this case it's just expensive.

I also wouldn't bother with the Z97 board unless he wants to get an M.2 SSD. Instead of either of those PSUs get a Seasonic M1211 620W.

As to bottleneck, nah. It won't bottleneck the card, only hold back certain CPU heavy games. Big difference. Friend of mine with an i3 3220 and a 680 hasn't had any issues though.

What i3 does he have?

Ditch the 1866 RAM and just get 1600. I can understand the guy in the other thread getting 2133 because it's cheaper with the promo than 1600 but in this case it's just expensive.

I also wouldn't bother with the Z97 board unless he wants to get an M.2 SSD. Instead of either of those PSUs get a Seasonic M1211 620W.

As to bottleneck, nah. It won't bottleneck the card, only hold back certain CPU heavy games. Big difference. Friend of mine with an i3 3220 and a 680 hasn't had any issues though.
I went with the PSU because it comes out of the box with sleeved cables. Trying to be visually appealing as well as functional. The ram I can step down on for sure tho. also what mb would you all recommend keeping in mind that a green mobo wouldn't work :p and no CPU as of yet have one in mind? I'm open to all suggestions

Last edited:
I was under the impression he bought an i3 and HDD from Microcenter....0_o

So you're willing to sacrifice quality for aesthetics? Tisk tisk. Also the M1211 is sleeved too, just not individually sleeved. I also think Seasonic's individual sleeve kits work on that unit as well besides the hard wired cables.

Plenty of B85 and H81 boards with different color schemes. Take your pick.

If he doesn't have a CPU, the i5 4440 or 4460, whatever is cheaper.

I was under the impression he bought an i3 and HDD from Microcenter....0_o

So you're willing to sacrifice quality for aesthetics? Tisk tisk. Also the M1211 is sleeved too, just not individually sleeved. I also think Seasonic's individual sleeve kits work on that unit as well besides the hard wired cables.

Plenty of B85 and H81 boards with different color schemes. Take your pick.

If he doesn't have a CPU, the i5 4440 or 4460, whatever is cheaper.
o.o its an 80+gold with a 5 yr warranty. And cheaper than buying PSU + sleeve kit. Annnd what ya think about an fx6300 from amd?...i think its down to i5 and gtx760 or i3 or AMDfx and gtx 770

Last edited:
The OEM is FSP, and even though TPU gave it a decent rating I still don't trust FSP as a higher end OEM. So since this isn't your PC, I'll let you make the judgement on that.

The i5 hands down. Depending on budget, just get the M1211 620, a B85 or H81 board and you can still afford to grab the i5 and 770 for this person. Although an i3 and a 770 would still pair decently.

Back
Top Bottom