This board looks interesting

Dragontology

Solid State Member
I've been looking for a new tech forum to post on for a while. Figured I'd use Tapatalk to help me, since I have that app on my phone and could more easily follow a forum that way. I've been on a couple forums since forums were a thing.

From Wikipedia: Ontology is the study of the nature of being, becoming, existence, or reality, as well as the basic categories of being and their relations.

I like to mix words. Take two words where one starts with what the other ends with and... just shove them together. I like dragons, so I started looking for words that start with on- or gon-. I don't fully understand the concept of ontology (not to be confused with oncology, the medical study of cancer, what House's friend Dr Wilson practices) but it sure sounds cool, doesn't it? But like I said, I don't fully understand the word, so try not to read too much into it.

As it relates to tech, I prefer the term 'geek' (to 'dork' and 'nerd'). I've built two computers. The one I use now and the one I had before. My first one lasted six years (2005-2011) with a few minor upgrades. My current one will last four; I plan on doing some upgrades on it next year. I play games, though I buy more than I play. I tend to do everything or nearly everything in a game and possibly replay it before playing a new title. And I dig smartphones. I use Android, but the others are cool in my book. I don't really 'fanboy' over brands. Rather, I think competing tech brands' differences serve a broader scope of users, rather than everything targeting the same niche. I like a big phone (because I have big hands) and I like something that looks good, with the screen off and on. So I got an HTC One M8 (this year's). Of course it's running custom firmware and is rooted. On the desktop I use Windows 7, though I'm planning on getting Windows 9 when it's fairly new. I like some things 8 does, but Metro is just not for me.

Outside of tech I like to cook, drive (nothing fancy, I just like an open road and coffee in my cup holder), and spending time with my wife, with whom I've just celebrated 8 years with a few weeks ago.

Looking forward to chatting with some like-minded geeks (or nerds or whatever you prefer—I talk Trek and some other shows including some anime as well) and avoiding the kind of drama you find on the social networking sites. DT

(That sign-off isn't considered a 'signature' is it? I suppose it's the same kind of thing... I did read all the rules and if it is I won't do it—some boards say it is, others say it isn't.)

Everyone has their own definitions. For me, dork just means socially awkward and maybe likes a couple geek pursuits. Nerds are the really smart ones, engineers and such, maybe working for NASA. Geeks are kind of in the middle... like you said. I'm all over smartphones, and in the 6-9 months prior to a build, I'm all over computer parts. But after blowing $500+ on parts, I don't wanna hear how my stuff is outdated a couple months later.

Are you gonna win that GTA bet in your sig? I know GTA 5 is coming out for PC/current consoles this year, but is it gonna make the 12 month window?

To me nerds are more like bookworms. Both can be considered dorks.

Idk we'll have to see. Wiki says Q3/Q4 and some sites say September while others say November or October.

Well, good luck. GTA 4 really let me down, so I switched to Saints Row (3) and was not disappointed. Stupid game, with the premise and story, but so much fun. 4 is even better. So much fun. (They even have a skin pack, GAT V, poking fun at GTA V.) But GTA V looks good. I'll probably get it when it goes down some in price. Game's over a year old, I hope they don't expect sixty bucks for it, maybe if they've added a lot. The last GTA I liked was San Andreas.

Back
Top Bottom