my laptop misadventure

Not sure what you mean when you say a Seven emulaor... Ex7For8 replaces the Win8 explorer shell with the Win7 explorer shell and essentially removes Metro completely (at least, makes it unusable/inaccessible).

I regularly bounce back and forth between my WIn 7 machines and my Win 8 machines and barely notice that I've switched OSes since, other than the Metro interface (which I only use on my touch equipped tablet), there isn't that large of a difference between the two. I use vanilla Win 8 without any Start Menu replacement and run the same set of programs on both OSes.

I agree with the sentiment that you are free to like/dislike what you want and to choose which OS you prefer but it is unfair to call Win 8 crappy.

I personally don't think Win 8 offers enough that I would upgrade a Win 7 machine to Win 8 but also would never downgrade a Win 8 machine to Win 7.

Last edited:
I will admit I wad wrong. My *****in* and moaning about win 8 was b/c I did not know it.

I have been using it for some time and find it to be just as stable as 7 and even a bit faster- I have set my desktop up as my start menu and avoid the metro interface(do not own a touch screen). I still blame M$ for the mess win8 has become. If they had disabled metro on non touch devices Ballmer would be buying the Lakers and Clippers...................

My question to OP is did you buy HP, professional or Ultimate?

Well good news for all you Metro haters, because M$ is planning on adding the start menu back to Win 9.

That's because Linux generally has a smaller resource footprint, and is entirely different kernel wise.

Back
Top Bottom