rapidly increasing 'interface CRC error count'

mrpanther

Beta member
Hi

I've noticed my laptop become rather sluggish. It's almost like the computer has a total pause for a second or two eg click start menu it appears but then it can take a few seconds for windows explorer to appear after being clicked. Browsing folders is usually seamless but more often recently I'm getting a few seconds pause randomly when opening folders.

I ran the Dell diagnostics and it passed, but HD Tune Pro shows 'attention' for a 'high interface crc error count'. It increases every time I hit refresh, and is over 45000000.

Should I be worried about this and could the 2 be linked? Luckily my machine has about 10 days of warranty left with Dell but their diagnostic tool says everything is fine...it would be great if someone could give me a pointer so I know whether it's worth fighting with Dell over it.

I've formatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows and it's just the same.

Thanks!

Dell Vostro 3550: i5 2.3ghz, 4GB, 500GB 7200rpm, Windows 7 64-bit

Backup any important data you have on it, just in case.

Now, click Start -> type cmd -> right click and Run as Administrator -> type (without the quotes): "chkdsk c: /f /r" -> it will say it cannot lock the current drive and ask to run on next reboot -> type Y and hit Enter -> reboot

let it go through; stages 4 and 5 could take some time, depending on the size of the HDD and how many files are on the drive.

Hi thanks for the info. Windows found no problems, neither has the dell diagnostics but hd tune pro and crystal disk info both show write error and crc error constantly increasing.

I put another hdd in my laptop and this has no errors, so i'm fairly sure it's the hard drive.

Is the error count and crc count increasing anything to worry about, does it show a fault with the drive?

Thanks

If the CRC count is increasing at a fairly regular rate, then it's usually an issue either with the motherboard, SATA connector, or drive/drive controller. The CRC errors are due to communication errors.

If you replaced the drive already and aren't seeing a regular/quick increase in the CRC count, then it was most likely an issue with either the drive's controller or the drive itself.

Back
Top Bottom