New System for Mah Aunt

Ok, I get it. But I don't see it as greed. I see this as an opportunity to "get the word out there" that I can build someone a fully customizable computer for 400+ bucks. I am going to have her look at the specs and everything and ill tell you guys how it goes. Wish me luck!

You want her to spend an extra 100 bucks, plus your 10% or whatever just to "get the word out there". That's bad business.

Anybody else concur, or am I just too fair to people?

i have to agree with pp on this. that dell is more than capable for normal everyday use. thats a 100 bucks wasted big time mate.

You want her to spend an extra 100 bucks, plus your 10% or whatever just to "get the word out there". That's bad business.

Anybody else concur, or am I just too fair to people?

i have to agree with pp on this. that dell is more than capable for normal everyday use. thats a 100 bucks wasted big time mate.

+1 to these...

"Getting the word" out in a better way wouldn't be trying to upsell your clients. It would be better to do the work that best fits them, and do the best job you can. You can show your aunt both options and explain the benefits of each and let her decide on which would be the best for her. Like the others have said, with the low end machines its better to just go with a prebuilt because (like PP said), you're basically getting the Windows license for free with a low end machine.

+1 to these...

"Getting the word" out in a better way wouldn't be trying to upsell your clients. It would be better to do the work that best fits them, and do the best job you can. You can show your aunt both options and explain the benefits of each and let her decide on which would be the best for her. Like the others have said, with the low end machines its better to just go with a prebuilt because (like PP said), you're basically getting the Windows license for free with a low end machine.

Today i showed her the specs for the one i would build. She seemed to like it but i like ur idea; showing her both and giving her the pros and cons. I will do that tommarrow

Sent from my iPod touch using Tech-Forums

Yikes, You'll get the word out there all right , who to avoid for buisiness. I've come across smaller jobs that didn't take much work at all. I might tell them pay what they think would be fair or maybe buy lunch and so far they give me much more and so far I've gotten calls from them multiple times for more work that there friends have for me. You ever hear someone say they have a guy that does good work cheap, Well that guy might work cheap but has a lot of small jobs that adds up fast and people always go back to THAT guy with more work down the road. I'm THAT guy to my customers and a few I've built and fixed multiple systems for. With repeat customers I give a lot of freebies such as if they messed up windows and need it reinstalled. Easy job and makes them happy and they recommend you to all of there friends. Greed keeps you NOT working and broke.

Dauntae

Yikes, You'll get the word out there all right , who to avoid for buisiness. I've come across smaller jobs that didn't take much work at all. I might tell them pay what they think would be fair or maybe buy lunch and so far they give me much more and so far I've gotten calls from them multiple times for more work that there friends have for me. You ever hear someone say they have a guy that does good work cheap, Well that guy might work cheap but has a lot of small jobs that adds up fast and people always go back to THAT guy with more work down the road. I'm THAT guy to my customers and a few I've built and fixed multiple systems for. With repeat customers I give a lot of freebies such as if they messed up windows and need it reinstalled. Easy job and makes them happy and they recommend you to all of there friends. Greed keeps you NOT working and broke.

Dauntae

I GET YOUR GUYS' POINT. I DID SOMETHING WRONG AND NOW I HAVE TO FIX IT. YOU DON'T HAVE TO RUB IT IN.

Not rubbing it in, more giving an example of how to get your name out there, I personally charge a flat price for high end builds but the only real risk building is if you get any defective parts, customer is paying you for a working PC and being the builder I at least take care of the RMA and return shipping which cuts into the profit but what's lost on shipping will come back with good recommendations and work from them. Can be frustrating at times but it makes you money.

Dauntae

Back
Top Bottom