2x UHD (3840x2160) monitors to full resolution with 1 PC?

BearWasTaken

Solid State Member
Good day. Here's the deal: I have two
LCD 28" U28D590D/W/LED (The manufacturers code LU28D590DS/EN if its of any use) monitors, and want to connect both of them to one computer. Both monitors have 2xHDMI slots and one display port. After googling, I found out what's summary is this:

"Current graphic cards do not support HDMI v2.0 specifications; it is required to use two HDMI v1.4 output to support Ultra HD resolution - 4096x2160@60Hz."

I was contacting US support concerning this matter and was told that their support was strictly for US customers, and Lithuanian Samsung support does not even have this model in the "contact support" list. I figured i'd go and ask in the tech forums :angel:

My first questions are:
1. Is the above true?
2. If yes, would that mean that to get two UHD monitors running on maximum resolution I would have to connect two video cards both with 2x HDMI slots to one motherboard :eek:? Thanks for reading!

Just use Display Port, problem solved. You can use both monitors at 3840x2160@30hz using one 1.4 HDMI connector per monitor.
Sorry but I am too unlettered in this field to understand exactly what do you mean. :neutral:
1. So if I bought a 2xHDMI GPU, I could run max resolution @30Hz? Is there any way to get 60, or are those monitors only capable of 30FPS? Would surprise me
2. What do you mean by 'use display port, problem solved'? Do you mean that with a GPU (that supports UHD) with just one HDMI and one Display Port, I could connect one monitor to the HDMI slot and another to the Display Port and they would work just fine with max resolution?

Displayport has more bandwidth than HDMI 1.4. Running off a single Displayport connector you can run full 3840x2160@60Hz (as in full resolution and refresh of the monitor).

You can run 3840x2160@30Hz, that's full resolution and half refresh, off one HDMI 1.4 port. To enable full 60Hz you need 2 HDMI inputs to that one monitor.

What video card are you trying to run these monitors with?

What video card are you trying to run these monitors with?
My old GPU is not even supporting this resolution, so I am going to buy a new one, and upgrade the rest of my machine (i5-2500k, etc) later this autumn.

So last question to sum everything up: If I buy a GPU that supports UHD with a
Display port
AND
2x HDMI slots, I WILL be able to run both monitors on maximum resolution @60Hz?

My old GPU is not even supporting this resolution, so I am going to buy a new one, and upgrade the rest of my machine (i5-2500k, etc) later this autumn.

So last question to sum everything up: If I buy a GPU that supports UHD with a
Display port
AND
2x HDMI slots, I WILL be able to run both monitors on maximum resolution @60Hz?
If you're gaming that 2500k doesn't need to be upgraded at all.

Simple answer, yes. If you're gaming you only need one of those panels to run at 60Hz. So basically run the DP cable to your main monitor and a single HDMI to the other.

Actually.. One more thing: can you confirm , that all Geforce 600 & 700 series support 3840x2160 resolution? I feel the source i am looking at atm being fishy.
Or if you could suggest a GPU for me, that would be even better. As mentioned, has to support 4k HD. Loudness/watts are irrelevant. Price - 200~300$. Use: gaming. Prefer Geforce, even though I dont know if I should. Had pleasant experiences so far.

If you want to game at 4k, then I wouldn't look at anything less than either the 290x or 780ti honestly. Otherwise, it's pretty much a waste of monitor.

Otherwise, it's pretty much a waste of monitor.
Not exactly. You see, the intended use for those monitors is multitabling 20-24 tiled tables of poker online. And thats why I need max resolution. Thus, gaming is just a secondary use. I am not planning on 4k gaming, currently just want a GPU that could handle 2x4k graphics on my current machine. So was just wondering maybe you could suggest some, I am not getting anything overly powerful just now.

Back
Top Bottom