Kali instalation

nameless3450

Beta member
So I have this older laptop that was given to me that I wanted to make into some sort of Linux machine. I successfully installed Ubuntu off a flash drive very easily but I tried to do it with Kali without encrypting the hard drive or anything, and it goes swimmingly until it hits about 33% of copying files to my hard drive then the screen just goes black. I turn off the system and turn it back on and it gets past the opening screen that shows the maker of the laptop and goes to a black screen with a blinking white line with no operating system loading. So obviously the Kali os is not downloading because it doesn't complete the installation but why does the screen turn black? I got the iso file from the Kali website and used the Universal USB Installer from pendrivelinux.com. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Did you check the file hash (MD5 or SHA256...can't remember what's on their site) of the ISO that you downloaded? It's possible the download corrupted.

Try re-downloading it, and try putting it on the flash drive using UnetBootin.

It's a live distro anyways, so why do you want to install it?

It's also an installable distro :p. I have it installed on a spare laptop...why take up a flashdrive when I can just install it?

This thread reminded me I need to update my Kali install...man it's got a lot of updates.

So I went ahead and installed the 32 bit operating system (originally I was going for a 64.) Obviously downloaded a new iso file and used unetbootin. So it eventually worked after hitting many snags random snags (such as setting up a password then when installed the password doesn't work and another snag where no matter how many times I had confirmed the password during installation it was rejecting it.) It is completely installed so thanks Carnage for the advice. My onlly question is that is it better to have a live version on a usb drive? I mean what are the pros and cons of an installed os and a live boot one? I mean I can put ubuntu back onto my system and create a live boot of kali if it is more functional that way.

Edit: +rep carnage

Last edited:
Not necessarily a waste or for the better, it just depends on the use. Kali is really used for penetration testing and in that case having a live USB is better IMO. If you're just dicking around with Linux you could install it but have those snags.

Back
Top Bottom