hyperthreading

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloud

In Runtime
time for my noob question of they day,

I was messing around in my bios, familiarizing myself with it, and i came upon the option of turning hyperthreading off.

what exactly does it do? and is there any gain to turning it on/off?:p

Hyperthreading makes your cpu recognize it as two "seperate " cpus so that one cpu can do some certain stuff such as gaming, and the other half doing wordprocessing, internet surfing, programming such and such. It is much faster having hyprthreading on because it can excute several programs at once. That's why intel has an edge on amd athlon 64s on programming stuff because of that hyperthreading technology. But athlon 64's definitely own intels at games

I've seen benchmarks where HT makes the computer slower, but i've seen then where it gives it a small boost. It's really up to you. Also some people swear it makes the general "feel" of the computer peppier, but whatever.

IT's on.. i'm gonna leave it on.. just wondering what it is/does at whatnot. I don't like not knowing things, which is why i ask like a bajillion questions a day on here. :)

it wont slow down ur PC.

I have tsted 2 identical machines (100% identical) one with 3.06 GHz 533 Bus Processor and HT Enabled

other with 3.40 MHz (HT Disabled)

that makes the later with higher clock speed and 800 FSB, still it lagged behind the 3.06 that was HT enabled.

and this wasnt tested on just one software, around 7.

alos, it will keep your system cooler,as seldom you'll reach 100% CPU load barrier. as I when on load mine's @ 50% and temperature's @ 39 @ normal.

I don't get that Hyper Threading crap. My computer can play a game like Halo and do PhotoShop editing all at once and it won't slow down. So HT isn't much $h!t to me cuz AMD STILL ROXXX

Hyper Threading is very good, specailly in 64 bit processors.
Basicly it works like this

Without HT {Unit Processing 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10

With HT (Unit Processing 1.3.5.7.9
(Unit Processing 2.4.6.8.10

Its very simple to understand that HT is better for the fact that you have 1 processor acting like two processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom