my laptop misadventure

edeneen

Solid State Member
So I saved up a little money last year and treated myself to a brand new Dell Inspiron 3250, unfortunately it came with Windows 8. Trust me, it is evety bit as bad as people say. I hated it, then it started giving dll errors and typical Windows errors after only a few months of light use! I put Ubuntu Linux on it, love it, runs awesome with Linux, but I do miss flying my Flight Simulator. So I ordered a nice new copy of Win 7, gunna put Seven on it, tweak it out, fly my 727, then go dual boot and add a Linux partition for safe surfing. It will be sweet, I am having geek spasms just planning it.... waiting for my OS to come...

Sorry you had a bad experience with Win 8. I personally have it on a laptop, a tablet and a number of VMs and it works great for me, no complaints.

While waiting for your copy of Win 7 to arrive, start collecting the drivers you will need. You may find that you have trouble finding Win 7 drivers for a laptop that was designed for Win 8.

When you attempt to install Win 7, assuming your new laptop has a UEFI BIOS, you will need to go into the BIOS and disable Secure Boot.

Sorry you had a bad experience with Win 8. I personally have it on a laptop, a tablet and a number of VMs and it works great for me, no complaints.

While waiting for your copy of Win 7 to arrive, start collecting the drivers you will need. You may find that you have trouble finding Win 7 drivers for a laptop that was designed for Win 8.

When you attempt to install Win 7, assuming your new laptop has a UEFI BIOS, you will need to go into the BIOS and disable Secure Boot.

already took care of the BIOS, I had to do that to put Linux on it.
already collected the drivers and put 'em on a flash drive.
already on it, dude

Been running Win8 on my laptop since it released; same with my fiance and her laptop. No issues for me ;).

DLL errors are usually user error from installing/uninstalling things and not everything getting removed. Sometimes Win updates can break things, but not quite as common.

well of course the errors were a pain but I also did not like the metro interface at all, Windows 8 has gotten a lot of negative feedback from consumers, developers and technicians; surely you know this.... it's just a crappy product

Last edited:
I'm a developer/consumer/technician... and I don't have any issues with it.

I haven't seen the metro UI screen in months. I installed a start menu replacement, and voila. Win7 + the performance/UI tweaks/advantages of Win8. I don't at all think it's a "crappy product". It just got bad PR because MS took away the Start menu and people were too set in their ways to try something different (granted I installed a start menu replacement, but my fiance has been running vanilla Win8 just fine, Metro UI and all).

That being said, it's personal preference, but to generalize and say it's crappy isn't what should be done.

Anyway, would rather not to turn this into a Win8 debate. Its your computer, you can do whatever you want with it, just as I can do anything I want with my systems ;).

whatever, I will say now that the same machine was a little faster on Win8, quite a bit faster in fact, but I hated the interface so much (even with a Win7 conversion, it just sucks) so I went back to Seven and am very happy. i could have reinstalled 8 for free, but it is so, so crappy I spent money and put Seven on it. To each his own, eh ?

whatever, I will say now that the same machine was a little faster on Win8, quite a bit faster in fact, but I hated the interface so much (even with a Win7 conversion, it just sucks) so I went back to Seven and am very happy. i could have reinstalled 8 for free, but it is so, so crappy I spent money and put Seven on it. To each his own, eh ?

Completely your opinion, but alright ;).

You can use Ex7For8 even, and completely get rid of metro because it uses the Win7 explorer shell. Either way...like I said...I never see the Metro UI unless I go into it. Task manager is way better, and like the ribbon UI that's integrated in file explorer way more than Win7 and below's file explorer.

Back
Top Bottom