Upgrading File server.

FirefIy

Solid State Member
Hello,
Currently I'm a trainee in a company that has the following problem:
They have a file server, which has lots of word and excel documents, and whenever multiple people try to open one file, only the first to open can modify the file, others cannot modify the file without changing it's name. And it is really frustrating for them. I've suggested them using GoogleDrive for their documents, but they want to keep the thing local. Are there any options?

Best regards,
Aleksey.

Word/Excel/etc files can't be opened by multiple people at the same time - an exclusive lock gets put on the file I believe when opened over a network share.

You could look into setting up something like SharePoint (would require a server for this), and people can check documents out/in; it integrates nicely with the other Office products and AD/Outlook (if that's what your company is running).

I currently use SharePoint, but they would still run into issues with what you are currently having.

I don't believe there is any work around for this.. I have tried many times. The only thing you can really do is, you can kick people off the file on the actual server. Say if someone calls the HelpDesk and needs someone kicked off of the file you could login to the server then kick them off all together.

This is why I much prefer databases and software that can build a "file" if needed. Anyone can edit at any time and things tend to be fine if the database and software is built properly.

I currently use SharePoint, but they would still run into issues with what you are currently having.

I don't believe there is any work around for this.. I have tried many times. The only thing you can really do is, you can kick people off the file on the actual server. Say if someone calls the HelpDesk and needs someone kicked off of the file you could login to the server then kick them off all together.

This. With the current setup, you wouldn't necessarily know who has the file open. With SharePoint, you'd at least have the person's name so they could be contacted and asked if they're still working on the document.

This. With the current setup, you wouldn't necessarily know who has the file open. With SharePoint, you'd at least have the person's name so they could be contacted and asked if they're still working on the document.

If everything is in the domain and they use named user accounts the you can see what user account is using a particular file. Using the built in file share manager.

Im assuming you were meaning you cant see who has a file open on the file share correct? or am i mistaken?

Nevermind, I misunderstood what you meant initially. I re-read it and yeah, I forgot you can see the AD account of who has it open.

Back
Top Bottom