Seagate HDD problems

Rmgdx

Baseband Member
I have had this drive for about 6 months, yesterday it started to hang while playing video files but it passes all the Seagate tests. So I'm not really sure what to do now.

Here is a video of the lockup while I was transferring files off of it in order to reformat it.
Seagate lockup - YouTube

And here is a video with the noise it makes when the lockup occurs
Seagate lockup sound - YouTube

Thanks for any help.

I have had this drive for about 6 months, yesterday it started to hang while playing video files but it passes all the Seagate tests. So I'm not really sure what to do now.

Here is a video of the lockup while I was transferring files off of it in order to reformat it.
Seagate lockup - YouTube

And here is a video with the noise it makes when the lockup occurs
Seagate lockup sound - YouTube

Thanks for any help.

Ok, slide your mouse on the right side of the screen and click search.
Type event view logs and hit enter, now look at the tabs and find system logs and windows error logs.
Look at yesterdays timeline and today, did windows mention anything about a disk drive error ?
If it has a exclamation by it its mean the drive is having problems.
If its a red x and its consistent like every hour oe 2 hours daily.
You will need to get your drive rmaed, give us the hard drive model number.

I checked your videos and the file transfer look pretty speedy.

Model Number - ST2000DM001-1CH164

I re-installed windows this morning to see if it helped so I dont have the logs from yesterday.

Here are some errors I found,

Error - Ntfs - Volume D: (\Device\HarddiskVolume4) needs to be taken offline for a short time to perform a Spot Fix. Please run "CHKDSK /SPOTFIX" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:>" locally or remotely via PowerShell.

Warning - disk - Disk 1 has been surprise removed.

Warning - disk - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.

Thanks

Open up command prompt as Admin -> type in "chkdsk D: /f /r" (without quotes) -> Press Enter -> if it says it cannot lock the current drive and must be ran on next reboot, then just type Y and hit Enter -> Reboot your machine and let it run the disk check.

I ran chkdsk D: /f /r it got to 13% and it locked up and started the beeping like in the video, the only difference I notice is the disk usage is 0% not 100%. Ill let it run and see if it goes.

http://i.imgur.com/FjBEj81.jpg

Sometimes chkdsk looks like it freezes, but will just take time to get through it. If it does this, it's most likely hitting bad sectors and marking them off.

Model Number - ST2000DM001-1CH164

Here are some errors I found,

Error - Ntfs - Volume D: (\Device\HarddiskVolume4) needs to be taken offline for a short time to perform a Spot Fix. Please run "CHKDSK /SPOTFIX" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:>" locally or remotely via PowerShell.

Warning - disk - Disk 1 has been surprise removed.

Warning - disk - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation.

Thanks

From what you stated and running check disk I say you have a bad drive.
See what the check disk results give you if its not looking good we'll go ahead and have you rma today.

Keep this in mind for your next hard drive:
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com
I have this in my system since christmas 2013 very good for archiving and file transfering.

Chkdsk looks good, as does the other program's health status as far as I could tell.

Does it only make the noise and stutter transfers when under heavy load or does it do it when copying small bits of info as well?

Back
Top Bottom