Non active members on tech-forums.net

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
I'm curious to know why their are so many inactive users on tech-forums, who haven't used their account in years. I was just looking at the birthdays and someone who registered in 2003 hasn't been on the site since. Would it not be somehow more applicable to these email addresses and accounts removed. Would that not free up space some how\way?

Just don't see the point in having an account if your not going too use it.

It would take a lot of man hours to sift through all the potential inactive users. More than I'm sure anybody here is willing to do considering it doesn't matter much.

Well, surely you'd just delete all users with a last log-in date from before a certain day.

A simple search, then opening up each account, hit a drop-down, select the option, confirm the option. For several thousand accounts...

Well if it's not killing anything server wise, I'd say leave it, like myself after we build a great system some back out of the tech hobby some or life pulls us away and we fade away but eventually we get back into it like myself and return to see what's new and how the tech has moved forward. Glad my account was still here and visit daily but went a few years I didn't sign in. Wasn't as much into building as I once was but still knew what was good for average builds for customers but I didn't need to know what was the greatest but happy to be back and having my account still here was a nice thing.

Dauntae

@Trotter I'm sure there's a better way to do it on the backend :tongue:
But really, IMO it isn't worth it to do that. I mean...
1. It makes TF look larger.....!
2. It probably isn't using that much disk space, especially since webhosts tend to offer unlimited storage these days :tongue:

EDIT: Also, while we're on the topic if the site.... I want a dark theme still. :hrmph:

@Trotter I'm sure there's a better way to do it on the backend :tongue:

Code:
DELETE user FROM users WHERE join_date < '2004-12-31'

:p

But really, IMO it isn't worth it to do that. I mean...
1. It makes TF look larger.....!
2. It probably isn't using that much disk space, especially since webhosts tend to offer unlimited storage these days :tongue:

EDIT: Also, while we're on the topic if the site.... I want a dark theme still. :hrmph:

Agreed that it's probably not using much disk space; it's just text-based entries in the DB, where most of the fields will be blank and not taking up any space (besides the default fields that get filled in upon registering).

A dark theme would be nice :lol: Maybe I'll learn greasemonkey scripting and just make a hacked dark CSS theme lol.

Wouldn't be hard to erase members that have been inactive for so long, might take awhile to run the script... BUT, doing that can create issues with threads displaying... As is the database is already screwed up in the fact you can't search for posts of mine during certain time periods.

So yeah, better to leave the database alone.

Back
Top Bottom