Quick Memory Question PC3200...

Status
Not open for further replies.

melcher88

Baseband Member
I'm about to buy a stick of 512MB PC3200. Which of these two are better? I don't know anything about the "Latency" or ECC, so if anyone can help me out it'd be great.

The two I'm looking at are:

Mushkin 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200

Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2.5-4-4
Support Voltage: 2.6V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: 64M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime

Kingston 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200

Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 3-3-3
Support Voltage: 2.6V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: 64M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime

If anyone can tell me which is the better deal and why, I'd appreciate it.

yes it supports Dual Channel, but that's WAY too much money...that's why i picked those 2....i can only spend like 80 bucks

you can get some corsair value select in dual channel. It costs less but the latency timings are much better. thats pretty much your speed in your ram. Plus you can oc w/ corsair alot better.

I have the same Mushkin RAM as you posted melcher. It will run 2-2-2-5 on my EPOX 8RDA3+, and overclocks very well...i would get those if you are looking for not os pricey but quality RAM.

I believe i had them 238MHz 2.5-2-2-5 @ 2.8v perfectly stable.
They will also run ~210MHz 2-2-2-5 @ 2.75v for me.

Might consider 2*256 of them instead of just 1*512MB, as you can then run Dual Channel and get a performance boost.

P.P. Mguire said:
you really run your mushkin that fast? what do you thin i can get out of 512 of corsair value select w/out a heatsink and w/?

Yah i tested it out on my NF7-S to see what it had compared to my OCZ sticks and it did almost as well as the 2X expensive OCZ (no DC though).

Corsair tends to need more voltage than other brands, but thats not really a problem unless you are shooting for 240+MHz. I think you could get 235MHz 2-4-4-11 (2.5-2-2-5 might perform better) on ~2.8V no sweat.

RAM timings REALLY depend on what chips you have (CH-5, BH-5, BH-6, TCCD...etc) With value ram it's most likely CH-5 and needs burn-in time b4 major overclocks. Anything above that is usually dependent on PSU, other bottlenecks, mobo chipset, and heat.

i find 2.96v is where my PSU starts to show signs of weakness. Still running 3.36v on the rail...but it might be a faulty reading. Planning on getting a better one soon and seeing if i can do better.

P.P. Mguire said:
what kind of timings and voltage do you thin ki could get on that ram w/ my setup currently in the sig? thats w/out oc and heat spreaders.

without heatspreaders? There shouldn't be a difference with them on or off (some people do better without them as they tend to trap heat in).

If your BIOS is unlocked and all that good stuff i think on 2.8v you could run 235MHZ 2.5-2-2-5. Again this all depends on what type of chips your Corsair is made up of, and if they are burned in pretty good.

You will have to see for yourself if you can run CAS2 with tighter timings, or if you need CAS2.5. Past 217MHZ my RAM has to be 2.5-2-2-5, otherwise no boot. Your limit might be higher.

General rule of thumb is you want tighter timings unless you gain ALOT of MHz. Going from 230MHZ 2-2-2-5 to 235MHZ 2.5-3-3-5 is not worth it, and you will lose performance. Now if you gained like 15MHZ loosening timings it might mae up for it, but you have to test for yourslef with say Sandra and see if it does or not.

i cant run 2cas timings and i dont want to oc the ram. i just wanna boost voltage and make my timings tighter. thats all i wanna do cause i dont wanna take a risk of smokin the ram. i thin kim running 2.5-3-3-7 right now cause im playing w/ the crap ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom