Converting NTFS to FAT32

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsteg

Baseband Member
are there any free software that will allow me to convert my hard drive from NTFS to FAT32?

of from FAT32 to NTFS?

i have the partition magic 8.0, but its a freeware so it doesn't do me any good.

you can convert from fat32 to ntfs with windows or with PQ partition magic but you cannot convert from NTFS to FAT32 with reformatting

hrm..

i have 2 hard drive on my computer right now. the primary is NTFS and the slave is FAT32.

i can't access the slave hard drive in My Computer and it says "RAW driver" something like that. Is it because they are both different format, hence why i can't view it?

i tried doing the windows way to convert my slave from fat32 to ntfs, but they want me to format the drive. i can't afford to do that because there are valuable files in there.

what os are you running?
have you thought about copying your valuable files from the FAT32 drive to the NTFS drive until you are finished converting?

i have Windows XP home edition.

my slave drive use to be my primary drive, until i couldn't log into windows anymore.

i'll try it though. i might have the cd to transfer

hola gtseg (i guess life is miserable in such situations)
give these a go
copy important stuff to cds (R/RW) and format then write back.
if much data is there then get a friends hdd and do your thing.

case hdd format fat32 acceptance failure : try scandisking it. some repairs may fix all.

if not sucessful get the slave serve your friend and backup data then format.

xp can recog fat32 and ntfs but below ie98nt only fat.

there are some 3rd party software (dont remember the names, just do a google) that will revert to FAT32 from NTFS. Don't know how well it will work, as I would see a serious problem with corruption. I would just convert the FAT32 to NTFS and be done with it. Just type this in the command prompt:

convert D: /FS:NTFS <enter>

that will convert. backup before doing this just in case. also, of course the D: is what ever drive to convert.

also, you shouldn't need to format.

NTFS is only better if u r on network, it ha security in it, downpoint = its slower.

no need to remain on NTFS as if u arent on network (public network i meant), of course u want be hiding your own pictures from your family.

NTFS has more than just security.

1. It's cleaner than the old FAT32.
2. It allows you to have full use of your drive without partitioning it like an anti-social pyschopath...
3. It runs cleaner.
4. It's easier to work with than FAT32.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom