Not sure if this Fits under this secotion. CPU design.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
I've decided to put this topic of question in this category due to the discussion of the topic and some questions I'm curious about being answered.

Computer Micro Architecture in regards to this topic being of the CPU, is a very complex in the way of Physical design. I'm curious about the software and the CPU Hardware it self being designed as a package. In CPU architecture and\or CPU Design you have at this current stage, Logic Units, Binary arrays (I think), you have DATA Pipe lining, arithmetic Logic Units, Memory Controllers and assembly languages. Thats just for starters.

In regards to the CPU Design I think, an architecture is as the same principal being like a Building architect, the actual make up of the CPU it self. Hence CPU Architecture. I don't understand, many concepts, about CPU architecture, when you buy an Intel or AMD CPU, what are all the added extras you get as to what hardcore techies would look for, such as that list off I think Instruction sets available I think they are for example.

How complex are CPU's for example the most common Intel CPU used in the Desktop as of being this thread. How do CPU's work. I would like someone to explain in basic terms, explain as much as possible with out posting any external Links.

I have always thought of machine code being in Binary, and hexadecimal, and thus being transcended too higher levels of operations, threw various layers, and thus being in Machine Hardware Code would be the likes of, 1's and 0's, 0's and 1's . I'm not knowledgeable about a lot, but if you have a CPU which is operational in regards to a certain brand\type of Architecture, and their are a good few types available, what are the features in common with regards to all CPU architectures for Intel and separately AMD.

I was curious too get feedback on CPU Design and CPU Architecture. I take it CPU Architecture is the Hardware and Software designed as a package from the ground up. So for example, you take an Intel CPU, the actual chip it self will be designed around what? In regards to curiosity about the differences between different CPU's let alone manufactures, how many levels are their in the CPU it self.

How does it work on a broad scale, something simplistic to understand, how can software interact with I think the silicone and\or CPU it self?

Ah, you're wondering how something goes from just being a bunch of transistors to being a useful, interact-able computer?

To me your use of the word "design" means what it looks like. That's basically been the same for a long time when they went to a socketed PCB chip.

Architecture is a whole different ballpark. Just think of different architectures like an engine. Each one does the same thing, but each one is made slightly differently to achieve different gains. Gonna swap heads for more performance? That could be like adding more cache. Node reduction? That's like going from a V8 to a V6 except more refined to make more or similar power while maintaining better efficiency. Going from AMD to Intel is like going from a 70s Ford V8 to a Mercedes AMG :lol: Sorry had to put that joke in there. Actually AMD should use that logo. There is no replacement for displacement :p

As to actually working well rather simplistic idea of taking pulses of electricity and turning them into binary. Your PC does everything off binary so think of it like morse code for your computer.

Please bare with me as I've just woke up, and still pretty tired. I've been busy the last few day even thor I've posted in the OT Section with changing my setup about and adding extras ECT:

Ah, you're wondering how something goes from just being a bunch of transistors to being a useful, interact-able computer?

As far as I'm aware a transistor works on Switch Level, by electrical Impulses which would give a On\Off Situation. So if you had a CPU which works on a Binary level in being 1's and 0's and thus Switching back and forwards creating a Basic Level of Binary Code you would have essentially a CPU which was working like Crazy Switching back and forwards.

To me your use of the word "design" means what it looks like. That's basically been the same for a long time when they went to a socketed PCB chip.

I wasn't sure what I meant by design I just know that by Designing a CPU you have to build it up as a Package, hence I remember reading a Story when the First unlocked Intel Chips come on the Market, in the way of overclocking them.

Gonna swap heads for more performance? That could be like adding more cache. Node reduction? That's like going from a V8 to a V6 except more refined to make more or similar power while maintaining better efficiency. Going from AMD to Intel is like going from a 70s Ford V8 to a Mercedes AMG

So pretty much what you get is what you pay for, it you want the Biggest Baddest Chip on the Market, You'll pay more for CPU Performance, Speed, Cach, ECT: , The main benifitys of a CPU. I think and I'm looking for clarification on this, if you have Different Code names such as Bulldozer, what you'll be getting is a Chip which is supporting different needs of the end user as opposed to say Ivrybridge.

As to actually working well rather simplistic idea of taking pulses of electricity and turning them into binary. Your PC does everything off binary so think of it like Morse code for your computer.

Those Morse Codes, or Morse Code in the PC must be pretty complex as for example if you have a CPU which is working on Pulses and Creating Binary 1's and 0's from Raw Electricity. You build that up threw layers up to Various levels of say, Cach, Binary Arrays, Data Pipe Lining and Logic units. I say thees as its all I know of the CPU it self but their will be a lot more to it than that. You essentially have a Physical Chip which works on Pulses of electricity transcending threw levels\areas of Code which are able to produce at the end result the pixels on my Computer screen. Yes in accordance with the GPU but you have a Processor that is capable of creating a Multiverse of situations with regards to a chip with a built in GPU such as Intel.

I think AMD now build their PCIe Controller Set on the motherboard, were as Intel have it built in to the Physical Design and architecture of the Chip.

If you have a CPU that can process a Image with in the Physical Chip it self with regards to whatever architecture it is, the Built in GPU unit, and I'm looking for clarification on this, would work along side all the various parts of the Architecture in the CPU to output that Image on the Monitor threw the Motherboard.

Those Morse Codes, or Morse Code in the PC must be pretty complex as for example if you have a CPU which is working on Pulses and Creating Binary 1's and 0's from Raw Electricity. You build that up threw layers up to Various levels of say, Cach, Binary Arrays, Data Pipe Lining and Logic units. I say thees as its all I know of the CPU it self but their will be a lot more to it than that. You essentially have a Physical Chip which works on Pulses of electricity transcending threw levels\areas of Code which are able to produce at the end result the pixels on my Computer screen. Yes in accordance with the GPU but you have a Processor that is capable of creating a Multiverse of situations with regards to a chip with a built in GPU such as Intel.

The most basic form of how a CPU works:

The binary is converted to instructions through the instruction decoder. The ID then stores values in registers and then passed into an ALU (Arithmetic Logic Unit); it then either stores it in memory or passes it along the BUS back into other registers to perform other operations. I made a basic CPU in one of my courses in college through logic/code...was a PITA.

Below is a simple block diagram of what a simple CPU does:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c6/CPU_block_diagram.png

And a more advanced CPUL:
http://www.eng.utah.edu/~cs3810/Homework/homework07/cpu.jpg

To be honest it sounds really Complex and the second diagram I dint follow at all, the simple was Easy too understand but I think I have the Basics down and on that not I'll leave it at that. :) .. ..

Back
Top Bottom