Best nvidia card this gaming PC can handle.

azor7878

Baseband Member
Hi, my PC is pretty old, it's been like four years since it was built, i probably won't have the money for next big system upgrade in the next two or three years, and until this time i would like to play games on this machine in 1080p @60fps medium-high. What is the best nvidia card that this rig can handle without bottlenecking it/throttling/generally slowing it down? I'm looking for the nvidia gpu because of multi core support, my cpu's cores are pretty weak so i would like to utilize as many of them as it's possible.

Here are my current specs:
MSI 770-45c
Modecom Carbon MC530
Phenom II x6 2,8Ghz 1055t
Radeon HD5770 1gb
ADATA 2x2GB 1600
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM

Last edited:
GPUs don't automatically enable a game to use more than a core or two. Most all games are still heavily single threaded.

A nice 760 should give you a significant increase in performance. If you aren't on stock cooling I would raise your clock speed up to at least 3.2 or 3.4GHz.

But will it work with it's full potential? People told me that basically every gtx i put in this thing will be cut to non-ti 660's performance level, is this just a bunch of horse crap? Is there a need to pay extra? Will this PC utilize 660 ti's or even 760's maximum capabilities?

It's horsecrap. You have to be running like 5+ year old CPU and hardware to bottleneck it.

Hence the slight OC I told you to go about doing, you'll have full performance. Stock clocks won't bottleneck, but it'll increase game performance nonetheless which will be greatly needed.

The problem is that i actually am on the ****ty stock cooling which i was planning on replacing with SilentiumPC Spartan Pro HE924, but i can't afford 760 and the new radiator, should i buy 760 or 660 ti with a new cooler?

This is true. I'm gaming on a Phenom II X6 at the moment while my main PC's motherboard is dead, and it's absolutely fine. Basically the same as my i5-4440. The GPU is the important thing in gaming assuming your CPU isn't ancient.

Back
Top Bottom