ready to build

The disc that came with the mobo should be used or ignored ?

I have the GPU drivers ready on a disc but should I also down load the mobo drivers from the site and use them instead of the ones that came on the disc ?

thanks

You might need to install the LAN driver from the disc, but after then it's best to download them from the site since those will be the most recent.

I just searched on the ASUS site for my drivers and found this

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download H81M-E

The amount of updates, especially to the bios makes me nervous, will the mobo even work when i power it up without these updates.

The CPU I am installing is the Intel 3258

Do I install all of those updates or just the newer one in each section? All those bios updates are really making me nervous

Last edited:
I just searched on the ASUS site for my drivers and found this

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download H81M-E

The amount of updates, especially to the bios makes me nervous, will the mobo even work when i power it up without these updates.

The CPU I am installing is the Intel 3258

Do I install all of those updates or just the newer one in each section? All those bios updates are really making me nervous
Don't update the BIOS unless you have to; general idea for BIOS updates: if something isn't broke... don't try and fix it.

As for drivers... 90% of the time Win7 will pick up most basic drivers, then you can install updated ones.

You can get the most up to date by going to each component manufacturers' websites and looking up the component model there (i.e. chipset, LAN, audio, etc.). The "Asus approved" ones will be on their website, and not necessarily the newest.

All you need to download off the Asus site is the INF and LAN driver (only if Windows doesn't have it). If you have your dedicated GPU download directly from the Nvidia site.

Last edited:
what are INF drivers ?
I will be installing Win 7 home premium 64bit

I am going to assemble this within the next few hours, I just want to make sure all the bases are covered

the last thing that makes me nervous is in the manual it shows how to install the cpu and it looks like it says I need to leave the cpu cover on until after i install and close the bar on the side.

the link below is the manual pdf file from the asus site, on page 13 it shows to leave the cpu cover on until after the install, is that correct ?

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/H81M-A/E8599_H81M-Series.pdf

Shouldn't really matter really. I'm guessing they tell you not to take it off first so that less chance of dust or debris collecting on the CPU's heatspreader. If it does though, you can just moisten a non-lint cloth (I like to use coffee filters) with isopropyl alcohol (90%+ preferable). Then put your thermal paste on (size of a grain of rice in the middle of the CPU) if your heatsink doesn't already have it applied, then put your heatsink on.

Back
Top Bottom