Wireless card

danhodge

In Runtime
Hey guys, two questions here. Hopefully someone can answer both :D

First of all, my friend wants a wireless card for when he is at another house with his tower (no ethernet connection, hurts me a little inside) but is on a budget, and I don't think the internet there is great, so I'm guessing the card would have to be terrible to be a bottleneck (but I'm not too great with networking, and i doubt it is a simple as numbers/the speed coming through).

So what I'm asking, is what is the cheapest card you think he can get without being a bottleneck :)

USB or PCI isn't a major concern either.

And then for me (related of course), I was wondering how much a new router (and NIC?) can actually help my speed. We are quoted for getting 7 mbps by Talktalk and that is pretty much what we are getting, so am I right to assume that new hardware can't help bring that number up?

I have a lot of games on Steam, and downloading them is ridiculous, especially with the growing size of them. I mean, Titanfall is 50GB, that would take me years to download :annoyed:

Thanks, and if you can just answer one of the questions, please still do :)
Danny

First of all, my friend wants a wireless card for when he is at another house with his tower (no ethernet connection, hurts me a little inside) but is on a budget, and I don't think the internet there is great, so I'm guessing the card would have to be terrible to be a bottleneck (but I'm not too great with networking, and i doubt it is a simple as numbers/the speed coming through).

So what I'm asking, is what is the cheapest card you think he can get without being a bottleneck :)

USB or PCI isn't a major concern either.
Any USB wireless card will work fine. My preferred brand is Alfa - they make some cheap, high-powered USB adapters for about £30/$40.

And then for me (related of course), I was wondering how much a new router (and NIC?) can actually help my speed. We are quoted for getting 7 mbps by Talktalk and that is pretty much what we are getting, so am I right to assume that new hardware can't help bring that number up?
If you're getting what you're quoted, then you won't get any higher no matter how good your equipment is.

I have a lot of games on Steam, and downloading them is ridiculous, especially with the growing size of them. I mean, Titanfall is 50GB, that would take me years to download :annoyed:
Most people's solution is to make friends with someone who has fiber, and go there whenever you wanna download anything huge :)

Back
Top Bottom