GPU Issues?

Icarus_got_high

Solid State Member
I have just built my first system (specs below) and I am having an issue which I suspect is related to the GPU.

Basically the whole system performs fine on the most demanding games I have to throw at it, decent frame rate, no stuttering or anything but then after a while I get a crash to a grey/colored screen with vertical light grey lines down it and I can't interact with anything. I can still hear whatever sounds were going on at the time of the crash but there is no way for me to get out of it, I have to hard reset my PC. Only seems to happen if I'm really pushing it though.

I suspect this is an issue with the GPU but do you guys think anything else could be to blame? I have tried to keep an eye on the temps it's getting to as I though it might be related to that but they seem reasonable (mid 70°C's under heavy load).

I was planning on rma'ing the GPU but just thought I'd see if i should be considering anything else as well/instead.

Thanks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z97M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB DirectCU II Video Card
Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

Last edited:
Ok, so coretemp crashes my system (a quick google search indicates I'm not the only one) so I used HWmonitor instead.

Ran Prime 95 (using the max. heat option) for 20 mins and the max temp was 80°C, no problems.

Using Kombustor, I ran for about 5-6 mins, last temp I saw was 88°C (it might have reached 89-90°; I looked away from my screen) and then I got the grey screen crash.

I guess that kind of backs up what I was thinking as I'm pretty sure it shouldn't just crash like that at those temps (hot as they are).

Should I be concerned about those CPU temps? At the moment I'm just using the stock cooler as I don't plan on OC'ing for a while.

Last edited:
Ehhhh it could potentially be an issue, but unless you're doing transcoding or whatever you'll never see a complete 100% CPU usage scenario.

And yup, the card would be the issue. Did this happen with the fan at 100%? Considering you have a DCUII card temps really shouldn't reach that high.

Yeah with the fans at 100%. I'll try my luck with a different card.

Out of interest what temps should I be expecting out of it when running Kombustor? I haven't really found much online about what to expect but I know Kombustor pushes it really hard. Is mid-high 70°C's more than what you'd expect in a more realistic (but demanding) scenario like say playing Tomb Raider on ultra?

Should I have to look at upgrading my case cooling? I didn't really think I would with just running things at stock at the moment.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom