Consumer SSD lifespan.

By relevant, I mean in 10+ years time we will be on to better tech as flash based storage is still developing strongly.

I'll believe your statement and this article fully within these next 10 years when the failure rates drop for ssds considerably and guranteed to last long with testing and results.
Otherwise more power to the regular hdd's for IT of today.

I suggest on your offline time you look into this first:
SSD Acceleratorâ„¢ maximizes drive performance

Then I recommend you look at this and check out the ssd health status or performance.

SSD life - tool for solid state drives health and endurance monitoring

Not trying to trash anyones dreams or likes for ssd drives but this is why I rather use a normal hdd.
After so many writes and rewrites to any ssd we can say for sure its game over when the drive dies.
People would be best at getting a normal drive for windows and storage just in case the ssd dies at any time.

You can't honestly expect anyone to believe some third party advertizement that has an agenda to push their product to be an accurate assessment on ssd drives do you?

I'll believe your statement and this article fully within these next 10 years when the failure rates drop for ssds considerably and guranteed to last long with testing and results.
Otherwise more power to the regular hdd's for IT of today.

That's exactly what the article PP posted is doing =\. The whole thing about SSD's was they are limited to the number of reads/writes to them... but this shows just how large those limits really are. Failure rates have already dropped off considerably withing the passed few years due to improved chips (take for example the NAND memory / controllers that the Samsung is using that's still writing data after Petabytes of writes in the article).

Plus, flash media is a very good storage medium for long-term storage because it's fairly resilient to bit rot, and takes very little to actually prevent it: Data degradation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also: inb4 "I wasn't talking to you so butt out" Just defending the article PP posted because it's pretty good proof of the longevity of SSD's.

That's exactly what the article PP posted is doing =\. The whole thing about SSD's was they are limited to the number of reads/writes to them... but this shows just how large those limits really are. Failure rates have already dropped off considerably withing the passed few years due to improved chips

Like I told pp I'll believe his article and his word when ssds can be depended on without much worry or concern after 10 years have come and gone.

The only true way to do that watch how out it performs check the health disk like a normal /SCSIIDE/SATA/ hard drive , maintain, document it.
I don't go by word of mouth anymore not unless I see and test that proof that any piece of hardware is as good as it says. :/

I appreciate the link and I already read that a long time ago thanks for understanding.

Last edited:
Like I told pp I'll believe his article and his word when ssds can be depended on without much worry or concern after 10 years have come and gone.

The only true way to do that watch how out it performs check the health disk like a normal /SCSIIDE/SATA/ hard drive , maintain, document it.
I don't go by word of mouth anymore not unless I see and test that proof that any piece of hardware is as good as it says. :/

I appreciate the link and I already read that a long time ago thanks for understanding.

Considering most people don't write petabytes of data in that amount of times... pretty sure SSD's are proving their worth with that article ;).

The article IS proving that :| In the few years I've had my Neutron GTX I've only written 4.9TB of information to the drive. At that rate it would take decades to essentially kill my drive.

Also Carnage, SSDs only suffer from writes. It can pretty much infinitely read which is why they are only testing writes.

Even when you compare price per gb/dollar, if the SSD drive will out last a platter by substantial writes life time, then in the long run the SSD is probably cheaper. You can often get the Samsung SSD drives on sale for around 50¢ per gb or less

Yea the EVO can last significantly less than its bigger brothers the 850 and 840 Pros but still packs a 5 year warranty when my latest 3TB only comes with like a 2 or 3 year. I just really want to cram it in peoples heads that simply don't know any better. SSDs can last a long ass time and there's nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom