Need help OC'ing my Q6600 with P35-DS3R ...again

You had RAM divider set to 2 right? That should be no issue for just the 800 set. Try with CPU at 1.5v.

Yup had it at 2, I will try it again with 1.5v with just the 800 set.

I get my SSD drive today so i'd like to get a nice stable oc before i reimage and try windows 8

Update
So with the 800 sticks in I set the clock to 400X9, couldn't get it to boot to the desktop until I raised the Cpu voltage to 1.5, ram clocks were 5 5 5 15, default voltage.
3Dmark test was successful, prime95 failed on the last core then pc crashed.
Now I'm at 378X9 with 1.5v
Ran I'm idle at 47 40 40 45 with prime in 10 mins i was at 78 70 70 78 so I stopped the test.It didn't fail so I guess that's good
I was gonna add another case fan but I doubt that will help much plus my tuniq is at default speed, i lost the fan controller connection a while back.

3.4ghz is quite decent you may be able to tighten the voltage by lowering it bit by bit now and seeing how stable you can get it at a lower voltage. Those temps are also all quite good considering you have over a 1ghz oc.

3.4ghz is quite decent you may be able to tighten the voltage by lowering it bit by bit now and seeing how stable you can get it at a lower voltage. Those temps are also all quite good considering you have over a 1ghz oc.

What temp should I not go over Idle and what temp should I not go over load
I guess I can be happy with 3.4 ghz
I'm guessing going over 1.5v to get it stable at 3.6 would NOT be a good idea, right?

Over 1.5 wouldn't be wise unless you had way better cooling and knew you would be upgrading soon.

Rule of thumb is, idle temps don't mean squat unless they're unusually high. Your temps are fine. Do as he suggests and see if you can start slowly lowering your voltage in increments for the 3.4GHz clock.

I'm idling around 45 right now, I'm lowering my cpu volt little by little but i'm having a problem when I do a cold boot though.
My cpu turns on then off then on again then off and then stays off. The only way I can get it to turn on is if I take out the ram for like 30 secs then it turns on just fine with the same overclocked settings, nothing gets reset.
Is this a known problem?
I don't get any errors if I run prime or even games.
Cpu volt is at 1.48 right now.
Still trying to go down one by one

If you want to push 3.6ghz you still have thermal room. My recommendation is this. If in your bios you are at 1.5v your cpu isn't actually getting that as there is voltage fall off set your voltage to 1.5v and then use cpuz to see what your voltage actually reads it could be even lower then 1.4v some boards were so inefficient you would actually have fall off of. 1v if it's around 4. 4 or 1.45 push it up another. 05 to 1.55 in the bios to try and hit the 3.6ghz.I remember back In the day all the motherboards had all sorts of voltage mods to make the fall off less.

Edit: this is the pencil mod for your motherboard to get rid of voltage drop pencil mods are not risky and very effective in increasing overclocks by tightening voltage. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558347

Last edited:
Intel Vdroop was a ***** back in the day. I remember needing 1.6v even with load line calibration to get 1.5v on my e8400. Although, some people aren't brave enough to chance it. CPU-Z is typically not accurate while reading actual CPU voltage.

Back
Top Bottom